Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Rocking in the Free World

"Keep on rocking in the free world..."that's what Neil Young advises and it makes me smile every time I hear it.  The first time I heard that song I was a teen in high school, attending Roscommon High and I thought I was rocking back then.  Today I'm 35 and I'm rockin' for real.  Even behind rows are razor-wire and a world away from the definition of a "free world".  

During my first year of incarceration I had a hard time.  Each day beat me down and kicked my ass.  My head was still on the streets and refusing to accept the idea my life was going to change drastically.  Over the last six years I have accepted where I am and what I have to do here.  I'm paying a debt back to society so that once I walk out of here I owe no man anything.

The day I walk out of here, I will truly be rocking in the free world.  I came to prison a 27-year old dude who didn't know too much.  I'll walk out of here a 40-year old who know a few things.  The biggest being freedom is priceless.

My future plans are to stay a little closer to home.  Keep my loved ones a little closer and steer clear of the strip club.  I think I'll be spending more time chillin' on a dirt road and less time in a bar.  Barbeques and bonfires and acoustic guitars....that's me all day.  That wasn't me at 27.  A lot has changed since then.

My dad just came to visit me.  I look at him and wonder if I'll be just like him.  No, I'll be even better.  I had to lose it all to gain the world.  I let this situation make me better. 

Love like there is no tomorrow.  Life gives us no promises other than we will one day die.  The man with the most toys shall not win.  The man with the best memories will.  


1 comment:

Ester Jean said...

I don't believe for one second that you wondered if you'd be like Dad. Sorry, but I'm not buying it :) I'm proud of you, Michael, just exactly as you are.