Thursday, November 26, 2015

Happy Thanksgiving

Eighteen years ago I gave my daughter up for adoption.  At the time I was eighteen.  About six years ago, while here in prison, her mother contacted me.  She reached out and asked if I would come back into my daughter's life.  But, she under one circumstance.....if I stepped back into my little girls life, I had to never leave her again.  She said if I could come back and stay in her life, then I had her blessing. I don't know about other adoptions, but to me this was the gift of my life.  A second chance to be in my child's life.

I can't tell you how many times I look back over my life and see such a waste.  That is until I got my daughter back.  She is the best think I have every accomplished in 37 years of life.  Thank you Tami.

From this prison I have watched my sisters become mothers and my brothers become fathers.  They place pictures of me around their homes and point out to their kids who Uncle Mike (me) is.  They keep me alive because of their love for me. No matter my faults I am still big brother.  Thank you Abigail, Ester and Grace.

And my brothers, Aaron and Phillip, never forget what a privilege it is to be a dad.  I love you both.  And remember to appreciate and respect the woman who made your children with you.

To the woman who made me 37 years ago...I thank you for overlooking my faults and loving me unconditionally.  You have seen me become a moan.  You have watched me become a father to my daughter.  You are about to see me be set free.  I love you mom.

Since coming to prison, my most frequent visitor is my dad.  Driving nearly six hours one way to see me, then driving back at the end of visitation.  He comes here and I spend all his money on junk food while we laugh and enjoy our time.  We came a long way since I was a kid.  Thank you dad for loving me.

Last, but not least, to my lady.  She helps me do my time, she works full-time and is a mom.  But she has to do it all alone.  She will argue and say that I am in her heart and closer to her than most relationships.  My lady has been with me for several years and my head has never hit her pillow.  When this is said and done we will have been together nearly eight years.  About that time many people are getting divorced.  I will be putting a ring on her finger.  Thank you for choosing me.  I will make sure you never regret what you have sacrificed to wait for my return.  I love you more.

Please take some time to look at your own life.  Find the things your thankful for.  Let the people in your life know how much they mean.  Then send them a nice text to let them know how you're feeling.  :)

Happy Thanksgiving.  Enjoy life, your children, your better half or maybe your lesser half.  Thank you for sharing a few minutes of your time with me and my thoughts.  May you and your family have a blessed holiday season.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have to be fucking kidding me. You are not a hero, you are a coward who lures vulnerable women into relationships.