Tuesday, September 19, 2017

A Well Rounded Man

Men's Health claims the well-rounded  man should own a nice watch, a good pair of dress shoes and at least one good suit.

I thought of this when they came in and told us to prepare to evacuate for the hurricane.  "Put personal hygiene items in your pillowcase and leave all the rest behind."  They gave us five minutes to pack.

This is my second hurricane evacuation since being in prison.  I've been involved in a statewide lock down.  I've been in an organized sit-down to protest our food portions and the menu.  I've seen stabbings, robberies, beat-downs and assaults.

I don't own a suit, watch or dress shoes.  But I have a belt full of notches.  A life full of  experiences that have created a well-rounded man.  I stand tall in my boots.

This entire adventure has been just that.  Every experience is another chapter.  I did call my mom and tell her my daughter gets my Harley if anything should happen to me.  Aside from my daughter, my Harley is the coolest thing that's mine.  I would want her to have it.

I'm at 14 months now.

I've had people I love pass on.  I've seen my little girl graduate high school and move out.  I've watched my family pull together under extreme circumstances and grow as people.  I came, I saw...some days I conquered while other days I was beat down.  I've loved.  I've lost.  I've let bad women hang around longer that I should and let good women go sooner than necessary.  My decisions have put me up against the wall and at times behind the wall.

You know what?  I'm still fucking standing.  My life has never been dull or boring. 

Well-rounded?  Probably.
Survivor?  Definitely!

I can buy a watch and nice shoes.  Money can't buy the things that make a man a man.

You read about my life behind bars.  Soon that will change and you will then follow me as I move through life once again....from out there.  I can't wait to live the next chapter of my life.

















No comments: