Saturday, December 11, 2010

Moment of Reflection

"Life is full of ups and downs.  Some days nothing seems to go your way.  I love to make people laugh.  Just the same, I have days where I could cry and have done just that.

As a youngster, I was raised in a good Christian home.  My family loved me.  We didn't always have the newest bells and whistles, but we had each other. 

My teenage years came, and life changed for me.  Pimples broke out on my face and girls began to catch my eye.  Around this time, I met a very special girl who became my girl.  One thing led to another, and the two of us were expecting a child of our own.  Yes, I know - sounds like it was an accident.  Actually, we worked very hard at it.  No, we weren't trying to make a baby.  ...Well, you get the picture.

There's so many funny and sad stories during that part in my life.  I broke some hearts, had mine broken, and lost some very special people along the way.

The innocence of youth gone, I began to use drugs.  At first it was smoking weed and drinking.  Three years ago, just prior to this prison sentence, it was heroin and prescription medication.

I began this with life's ups and downs.  A couple months ago I found out a close friend of mine passed away from a drug overdose.  Being locked up, I didn't get the news until nearly a year later.  What a crushing blow.

One of my gifts is art.  Since I've been in prison I have begun to draw.  My goal was to create a piece of art in memory of my friend Kimmy.  What I drew is a memorial that is not only for Kim, but a reminder of where I've been and never want to go again.

I feel this piece of art captures the way I feel about drugs and addictions.  A broken heart is often the cause of drug abuse.  Running from - or trying to drown out - life's shit sandwich has started many a user down the path of drug abuse.  There is a patch on the heart because it's broken.  We all have a good side and a bad side, even addicts.  One wing is topped with a halo for the good.  The other represents the dark side of an addict.  I tend to be to-the-point and in-your-face, so included are instruments for use and dope itself.  I'm sorry I didn't have a chance to reach out to Kimmy.  "Kimmy, I'm so sorry" is in her memory.  I wish I could reach out and do something.  This is what I can do.  My art may inspire you.  To do what, I have no idea." 

Copyright 2010 M.S.


"My jokes and short stories may only piss you off and offend you.  Then again, maybe you'll laugh.  Even here in prison laughter is truly the best medicine.  So if I piss you off - don't look!

This isn't a movie.  I'm a real-life jackass.  I've been crashing all my life.  Maybe I can save you some trouble!"

M.S.



(All artistic works published here are the property of M.S. and may not be reproduced in any form without his express permission.)

1 comment:

Joanna said...

That is a beautiful drawing and a touching story
All the best to you