Monday, November 26, 2012

A Hooligan Turns 34

So here I am on the eve of the day I was born.  34 years ago.

I look back over my life.  A diamond in the rough...I laugh.  For from diamond, but far from being strung out and a slave to addiction. 

This morning I worked out on our reck yard with my friend Chris.  After lunch, we hit afternoon reck and caught grasshoppers to fee our spiders.  Tonight was the music program we both attend.  A couple of hours where we jam on a guitar and act like rock stars.  The evening is nearly over and here I am with my pen, paper, a blueberry pop tart and coffee.  Chilling.

On days like today I look back over my life. When I came to prison I took time to apologize to a lot of people.  Today I'm all apologized up.  My debts are paid.  I don't owe shit.  Some out there may beg to differ...you should try a good dose of forgiveness.  Somewhere along the line someone had to forgive you for something.  Yeah, I'm sitting here in prison.  And yes, it's my birthday.  But today in my heart I am free.  And it's only taken me 34 years to reach this place.

Today is the 14th of November I woke up to breakfast ready for me.  Wasn't quite breakfast in bed.  I had to reach out and grab it off my locker.  Close enough.  That was compliments of George.  All through the morning buddies have swung through with big smiles and fist-bumps.  Tonight they all planned a big prison goulash.  Chris, George, Randy, Bones, Gator and Forrest all threw in canteen to put together a whole pile of food for tonight.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  Here in prison of all places, I've met some of the best people in the world.  Some real ass dudes.  Guys like me who realized they were on the wrong path.  Instead, of fall between the cracks, they chose to learn from past mistakes and grow as people.  These are the very men I choose to put in my life.

Tonight a special group of them will gather with me and toast my 34 years of life.  That's real stuff.

I would like to personally thank each of you who took the time to leave me a shout-out on my birthday.  When I called Brook today, she passed the comments to me and I smiled.  I have some great friends back here and out there.  You people rock!!

J.J. and his dad for a birthday visit!!




GUESS WHAT?!?!?  Today as J.J.'s 34th birthday memories are reminisced, he is celebrating his good friend, Chris' birthday with a huge honeybun prison birthday cake!  Happy Birthday Chris!!!!


       

1 comment:

Ester Jean said...

awwww... wow I am so fcking late :( little dad-man with his little gangster boy. Love you guys. Happy super-fucking-belated birthday, Chris! I'm glad you guys know how to celebrate!