Saturday, February 22, 2014

Beer, Beaches & Root Canals

Just over a year ago I wrote about the trip I took to go get X-rays on my teeth in preparation for a root canal surgery.  I guess there was plenty of preparation needed as it took them just over a full year to perform the repair.  They had told me a year before that I would need a root canal.  The alternative would be extraction.  I'm just now 35 and I really don't want half my teeth missing when I come home.  Call me vain if you like, but I'm quite proud of my smile and besides I'm a big fan of steak and prime rib.  I don't want to be gumming them when I finally get to sit down to a T-bone and a cold Bud Light. 

As stated earlier this was a repeat of the road trip I took over a year ago.  Shackles, strip search, a trip in a van with security officers and finally to the surgery.

You have to think, if your tooth give you a problem, you call, make an appointment and get results.  I began to feel as if they were trying to corral me into pulling it.

At last the surgery was performed and I felt a wave of happiness.  I shook the doctors hand and told him thank you.  I brush and floss after each meal.  I am a health conscience person and knowing I have some funk in my mouth was unsettling at the least.  I truly feel repaired.  Not to mention, I just had a $2500 surgery on you.  Well, you're the taxpayer here.

I paid a $5 co-pay.  I feel like a million bucks.  So, I wanted to tell you thank you! You helped pay for my surgery and I'm one happy dude.  I would like to point out I have been paying taxes through employment since I was 15 years old.  Truly I don't feel bad about finally taking advantage of a benefit.  Still, I'm real blessed to have this thing done.

My countdown continues.  Six year here in prison.  Only four left.  And really, I'm just under that.  Time is rolling past.  I remember having those perfect days in the free world.  The sun shining, you're on a beach soaking up the sun, the seagulls are flying overhead and the waves gently come ashore.  You sit there and wish time could stand still.  Well.....right now I pray them Godspeed.   

May the days pass quickly and bring the day that I will once again pray for time to stand still.


1 comment:

Ester Jean said...

You sure do have a purrdy mouth, Michael. I cannot even imagine looking FORWARD to a root canal, but considering the alternative... yeah, I'd be bummed to have a tooth pulled at 35. I haven't been to the dentist in 10 years! And I'm not in prison, I just can't afford dental insurance, so who knows? I love you! I hope that was a quick and painless recovery.