Friday, August 12, 2011

Guest Post by Mack


“I’m still trying to bring new stuff in to the line-up here on the project.  Scottie goes home soon and will continue from the comfort of his home – you lucky bastard!

H.A. went to outside court and goes home very soon as well. Time to bring in a new voice.  Not just anyone, as I am picky.  …Only because I want you to enjoy and always get something from this.  Well, here he is: My friend Mack.  He can talk about certain aspects of life back here that I think you will enjoy.  Dig it!”

Hey J.J.’s family, friends, associates, fans, and others who don’t fit into any of those categories.  My name is Mack, who so happens to be black.  I guess I’m a poet now.  Actually, that phrase I plagiarized from J.J.  That’s how he explained to his sister who I was.  So I thought about it.  Hmmm… “Mack who is black.”  It became like a little mantra in my mind. LOL.  Anyway, this is strange because I’m having a difficult time introducing myself.  I have written probably 600-800 letters since I’ve been down, so being pen-shy isn’t one of my traits. 

So who am I?

Being black isn’t important, even though in prison it is very relevant.  Since I am “well-spoken” and not from here, being black can actually be a crutch.  I guess I’m black enough to be accepted (not that I really care about being accepted), and independent enough that I’m not perceived as a fake.  I’m not from “da ‘hood,” especially these ‘hoods, so my pretending to be would be sniffed out quicker than having an open bag of dope during a shake-down with the dogs.  I did live in da ‘hood back in Oklahoma City for a period of time, but my mom got a better job and moved us to a more multi-cultural ‘hood, so to speak.  I still attended predominantly black schools until the middle of 6th grade, however.  Then, without warning, I went from a pretty much all-black middle school (6th, 7th, and 8th grades) to an all-white elementary.  Ahh!  OMG!  Talk about an extreme culture clash in the blink of an eye!  It was like going from Queens, NY to Overland Park, KS. 

I lasted only 3 days. 

When my mom picked me up from school, I distinctly remember crying and laying on my mom’s leg.  She asked me, “Baby, what’s going on?

I said in a sobbing voice, “Mom, it’s too many white people and they all hate me!”  LOL!  Looking back at it now, it’s quite hilarious actually.  Thanks to my home-room teacher’s intervention, I integrated after that with ease.  That move ended up being a tremendous asset throughout my life.  Between that, the military, attending a black church, and travelling to Kansas City, Missouri pretty much every summer (where my grandparents lived in an all-black, non-ghetto neighborhood), I was able to get along with everybody.

…And yes, I did mention the military.  I served my country for a total of 8 years; 6 years Army and 2 years Navy.  How did I manage that, you ask?  Well, that’s another story for another day.  What’s funny is this one dude who is an ex-PN (personnel man) in the Navy calls me “squid-dog.”  What isn’t so funny is that I still came to prison.

So who am I?

I often consider myself the stupidest guy in captivity.  I’m 37 years old, been down 7 years, have 2 kids, and I’m sitting in prison away from them like a jackass!  If that sounds like self-pity, then I apologize as it is unintentional.  So how does that make me the stupidest guy in captivity?  I’m quite sure I am NOT the stupidest, but pretty silly nonetheless.  Let’s just say I wasn’t out there throwing rocks at the chain-gang.

Since I’ve been down, my mom has died.  Rest in Peace, Mom.  She passed away December 29, 2009 at the ripe old age of 55, which I found out through the mail on January 20, 2010.  Yep, that REALLY SUPER SUCKED.  I was the only child and she was my only parent.  What also sucked was she was finally going to come see me in early 2010.  Her finances, health, and state of mind were issues that prevented her from coming that long way to see me, but she had just gotten her back-pay from S.S.I.  You talk about ecstatic!  Man, she was very stoked about seeing her son.  Well, that’s life, I suppose.

I am not too religious, but I am convinced that God doesn’t allow anything to happen that we aren’t able to bear.  Just 5 months prior to that, a girl I dated a little while in high school just popped up out of nowhere.  We dated some while I was in the Army, but lost contact back in 1994.  She said she had been looking for me for 10 years.  We instantly connected, and that November I was able to get her on my phone list.  Just 2 months later, when I found out my mom passed, what saved me from snapping was the ability to mourn through her.  The night I received the news, I couldn’t sleep and every song that came on the radio reminded me of her.  I couldn’t do anything but write a poem.  Not a poem, per se, but some expressions of thought.  The next day I stayed in for chow to use the phone, as my appetite was shit.  I ended up reading that to her on the phone and inadvertently started crying.  …Not just tears, but from-the-soul cries where you hiccup and snot.  Luckily, they had something good for chow because I was virtually alone.  That helped me in a way I never thought it would.

But you know, life goes on and you make the best out of a shitty situation.  Some people may enjoy prison, but I am definitely not one of them.  I hate it with every fiber of my being.  However, I am trying not to let it consume me.  …By moving forward in a place that has no forward motion but a calendar.   

8 comments:

sweetmelin said...

Hello Mack who is black. :) To begin with, thank you for your service to our country.

I am so very sorry you lost your mother while in prison. I can only imagine that kind of heartbreak, and I'm certain what I imagine falls miserably short. Fifty five years old is certainly not "ripe" nor is it "old." She was much too young to leave this world.

I most definitely agree with you, God will never give us more than we can bear. Although sometimes it would seem He's cutting it rather close! :) I also believe your getting the girl on your phone list in November was not random, it was not happenstance. Nor was it random or happenstance that chow was rather tasty that particular night. At least this is what I believe.

Thank you for sharing a little bit about yourself with us. I wish you the best as you continue to "make the best out of a shitty situation." Your last line really struck me. "By moving forward in a place that has no forward motion but a calendar." Wow ... very profound.

Thanks again, Mack who is black. Take good care. :)

Anonymous said...

Nice to meet you Mack. I was on the phone with Michael and checked JJ and saw your piece had been posted. I didn't read it as I was talking to him but he asked me to check the comment. So, I read SWEETMELIN's comment to Michael over the phone. Now remember, I hadn't read your post yet. So I am reading her comment about your Mom passing while you are in prison and thought I would break down right then. My heart just flopped and fell to my feet. Sometimes the price we pay is steep but I too believe the Lord doesn't put more on us then we can bear. My heart goes out to you Mack "who is black".

On a lighter note, Michael has talked about you and I am pleased to finally get to meet you via words and look forward to further postings.

Keep that forward motion.

The MOM

Sherri G. said...

Hello Mack, welcome to the group. It's great to know that what you guys are doing is so positive, it may not always be happy, but at least ya'll are sticking together for the good, considering all the icky. I hate that the "system" is so heartless when it comes to family illnesses and death, you would think they could allow you a private room with a phone and tissues. I'm sorry you had to go through such pain. Scottie's grandparents both passed away while he was there, so sad. Now some happy thoughts... Count down for Scottie, soon you all will be on this count down trail, until then, make everyday count. Take care...

Anonymous said...

I am "THAT GIRL" Mack is referring to.....lol I always tell him that he is not defined by his circumstances. All these trials he has encountered are just making him stronger than he ever thought he could be. He is my hero, my shoulder, my encourager, and my best friend. This has taught me a very valuable lesson......what you see with your eyes is not reality, but true vision comes from a source far beyond the physical. Stay up Mack who is black.......lol This journey may not be easy, but as we say SUCKY-BLISS is what it has been!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this blog it is very insightful !!! I had to smile when you talked about the girl from highshcool !!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Mack, what a wonderful word. Reminds me of the man who complained about his shoes, but then saw a man with no feet. Each day is special & thank you for bringing that to our attention. God Bless.....

Anonymous said...

Hello Mack! I am a friend of "the girl from highschool" I am going to tell you something I have shared with her, and that is that something profound is in the works between you two....there IS a plan. Just knowing that much, be excited for life and what is in store.

J.J. said...

This post was a joy for me to type up. ...OK, I don't mean a "joy" because much of the contents are sad, but a joy because I am always blessed to see from another person's perspective, and it was a blessing to see that Mack has found joy in his relationships. Mack, it broke my heart that you didn't get to see your Mama before she passed away. It breaks my heart thinking of any one of you who are in prison feeling alone when you're dealing with heartbreak, and it blessed me to know that you had someone to talk to right when you needed it.

To you, Mack's girl, thank you for being there for him when he needed you most. We are blessed to have you here as a reader and I look forward to seeing more of Mack's posts. Send me a photo if you can (if you want) - I would love to get a visual up here for the fans. Thank you again :)