Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Looking Through the Glass

So Thursday is here yet again. I must say, this past week flew.  Much of that was due to you. Every prisoner eagerly waits to hear his name at mail-call.  You try not to show the let down when your name is not called.  Guys pretend to read a book. They turn the volume down on their head-phones, but still pretend to be rocking out.  It’s all a front.  Every man behind this fence is waiting for his name to be called.

(Photo by Mike Simons/Tulsa World, borrowed from "Oklahoma Watch"

Your name is called and you try to casually grab your I.D. card and pace your footsteps to the guard station where your ray of sunshine awaits you in the form of a small envelope.  On that walk you run the possibilities in your head.  Could it be my best friend, my little sister? Will it be my J.J. update, my mom or my daughter?  Is this an old friend of mine who looked me up to say hello?

Who took time in their life to think of me? That’s the questions every man here will ask himself on that walk to get that special package.

(Photo by Craig Dilger for The New York Times)


Somehow those simple marks made by someone’s hand on a simple piece of paper have taken on the weight of gold.  That envelope that holds those handwritten pages and now bears a stamp has a prisoner’s heart missing beats, dying with anticipation. Who could it be? Who had me on their mind?

And then the letter is in my hand.  I look at the name and smile.  :) So it was you who had me on your mind! You took time out of your day to say hello to me.

I even try to picture it. Were you at your house, sitting at the kitchen table? Maybe you were at an appointment, sitting in a waiting room with some time to kill.  Riding passenger on a long car trip, or maybe you were on a train. Perhaps it was a subway.

I picture you there.  Sometimes you even tell me where you were. “I’m at my kitchen table, socks off...sunshine pouring through the window...” And I see it. I see you holding your pen over that paper, making the very words that I will sit on this side of the fence and read. The words that will make me laugh, perhaps cry.  The thoughts of yours that will touch this man’s heart...because they are you.  You are now in my world. You are in my life. I hold your thoughts, emotions, your feelings in my hands. That simple letter has taken on life.

(Young Woman Writing a Letter, from a poster for Encre Marquet by Eugene Grasset, 1892. 
Image courtesy Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division.)

You forgot all that with your text messaging.  E-mail and modern technology took and knocked the wind out of the Pony Express. Today’s gadgets have taken ‘personal’ out of communication. Truthfully, a letter to me is so special. It’s really quite ‘intimate’ if you think about it.

A friend traced their hand on a letter to me the other day.  It made me smile. Then it made me think.

Have you ever seen a prison movie where two people sit on opposite sides of the glass? They reach out and touch hands - it’s all they have. I can tell you from experience, there is an energy passed between.



Think about it. Technology has taken the beauty of anticipation and replaced it with instant gratification. We’re so lazy anymore even sex lives suffer. Skip the foreplay, let’s do the deed. And men are the worst on that tip! When was the last time you just gave your partner a long, passionate kiss, and nothing more? Build the excitement. Let the anticipation build. Or did you just jump for instant relief?

I’m still learning new things every day. As I placed my hand over my friend’s traced hand, it hit me.  Like a spark came off the page and gave me a jolt of electricity. My friend stopped and put their hand right here. Even though it was 4 or 5 days ago their energy still lingers. And, crazy dude I am, I have since touched that hand dozens of times.

One of my favorite bands is Stone Sour. They sing a song, “I’m looking at you through the glass, don’t know how much times has passed. Still seems like forever”



It’s been forever since I last saw you. The man who sits here today has changed. That old guy you once knew is dead and gone. That man was a drug addict. I lived for instant gratification. That’s what drug addicts do.

The other day as I put my hand over yours for the hundredth time, I realized just how much I changed. I will never pass up the chance to simply steal a passionate kiss. Or hold a hand while walking down the beach. …Perhaps even during something as simple as grocery-shopping. Rolling over and realizing just how beautiful your partner is as they lay there sleeping softly.

Prison is a dead end for many people. That which doesn’t kill us, makes us stronger. I’m not dead. Very much alive instead. Every day I learn more about myself. How strong are you? How far can you bend before you break?

I was weak once. Very shallow. Now I’m looking through the glass. You ‘beautiful’ dear friend. Nice to see you. My hand is on the glass...

~Do you see me?

Tattoo’d Hooligan

6 comments:

sweetmelin said...

This moved me so ... yeah, so unlike me, huh?! ha

I can imagine how special and powerful it was to receive an outline of your friend's hand ... so very cool. This reminded me of something I heard many years ago. The suggestion was made to make a "prayer book" including the outline of ones children's hands. While praying for each child, ones hand would be resting on the traced outline of the child being prayer about. Really cool ... huh?!

I do not think you're a "crazy dude" at all for touching that traced hand many times over. It does hold a tremendous energy, and I think it always will. The positive energy, the caring, the love with which it was made will always linger on the page. I believe you will feel that each time you place your hand on the page. What an amazing thought!

I remember when my son went to summer camp. I put together little notes and a small goodie box for each day of the week. I actually sent THEM before I sent HIM so as to ensure he would have something each day at mail call. I was most consistent and most efficient. :)

I sure know how exciting it is to receive something other than bills in my mailbox. I can only imagine how much it means to hear your name during mail call. I can assure you I think of you and your buddies each and every day, I truly do. I can also assure you that this blog entry has moved me to be more consistent and more efficient, yet again. :)

Erica H said...

You know, it is something special when someone takes the time to write you. I know I look forward to your letters-no I don't have mail call, but usually getting the mail is depressing lol.

Oh, I shipped you out one today...and then I started another letter this evening. So you will be a fortunate mail call recipiant this week. :)

For those of you that just "think about writing" and never actually get around to it...just so you realize, he doesn't care if you just tell him that you watered your plants, bought new shoes, or washed your car. He just wants to hear from friends/family, noone likes to be set aside and wonder if they are forgotten.

Erica H :)

sweetmelin said...

Facebook has this fairly new, and actually somewhat creepy, feature that reminds one just what one posted on this day a year ago. See what I mean about the somewhat creepy part?

Anyway, up in the right hand corner it says something like ... this day a year ago ... I can't quote exactly as now that I want to, I can't make it appear again. Did I mention that facebook is really creepy sometimes? Yeah, I think I did.

Point being, this day a year ago I posted the following quote ... ‎"It is not only for what we do that we are held responsible, but also for what we do not do." ~ Moliere

Given what I read in JJ's blog yesterday I think it is more than interesting, and certainly not a coincidence, that this was my ... this day a year ago.

Just wanted to share ... and HELLO, Erica. :)

sweetmelin said...

Well damn ... so now the fb deal appears again and apparently it actually gives one the year as it may not be merely last year.

Once again, point being, according to creepy facebook, the following is what I posted this day in 2009 ... My ass is better than Anne's!! Woo Hoo !! :D

Um, yeah ... not nearly as profound as the previous post. Short of being read by someone with an ass fetish, clearly not nearly as useful, either. Notice, neither of these two points kept me from wanting to share, once again. Yep, I'm a giver. :)

I'm kinda scared to see what other gems facebook has for me this morning. So off I go, as I need to eat my oatmeal and write a letter. :D

Anonymous said...

Thank you SO much for this post! My husband often tells me how much those letters mean at mail call, and just to hear your name alone gives you some sense of worth! I love the illustrations you vivdly described throughout this piece and I'm stealing the idea of tracing my hand! That's BEAUTIFUL because energy is transferred! Thank you for sharing!

"That Girl"

sweetmelin said...

"That Girl" ... Your comment made me smile. :)