Saturday, March 23, 2013

Hey Mom

Smashing Pumpkins has a song that states...."Today is the greatest."

I'm not sure what today holds for me, but I'm ready.

Today, I'm headed to the law library to get a motion to once again file in the courts asking why they haven't ruled on my previous motion yet.  A 3.850 motion that was filed two years ago in April.

My class song was the Smashing Pumpkins.  Had I graduated with my class.  I did not.  However, I did go back and catch the G.E.D. wagon about two years later.  So, here I am...once again looking toward the future.  My future.

I had to decide one day that at the least I wanted my G.E.D.  The rest of my brothers and sisters all graduated.  So I went in partially to make my momma proud.  Then look where I wound up.

Today, I am seeking freedom for everyone who loves me.  Not to mention myself.

However, I called mom the other day.


She asked me to be home in time for my little sisters wedding.  Well, my sisters wedding is in one year.  I still have five years left.  You do the math.  Only way I can possibly make that is if I can get the courts off their ass.  Which means I will have to get off mine.  And, so I did.

On June 18, 2012, I filed a motion to hear and rule.  Asking the courts to please rule on a motion I originally filed on April 12, 2011.  Today I filed another motion on my last motion to rule on the original motion.

Did I just lose you?  Yeah.  Some days I'm lost myself.  I came into prison having no clue what a "motion" was.  I had no idea what an "evidential" hearing was for.  Now, I'm well-schooled in the appeals process.  And all the legal jargon surrounding it.  Only time will tell if I'll make it to my sisters wedding.  However, by then I may be a tattooing lawyer.  I'll most certainly be a heavily tattooed baker and jolly pop manufacturer.

Mom, I don't know if I'll be home in a year.  That's out of my control.  But, just like I went back and got my G.E.D. I'm also going to fight for my freedom.  Either way I know you will be proud of me.

These days my fighting has mostly turned to noble ventures.  I could go lay back and do nothing.  Just accept what life offers me.  You raised me better than that.  Have I told you that lately?

This is my call home to tell you that the older I get the smarter you get.  You told me as a kid that I could become whatever I wanted to be.  Right now today I'm just ready to be free again.  I'm looking for my second chance in life.

I hope that I didn't cash that option in already.  I know I've burned some bridges, and I hope none was my exit.  For now I'll just keep cruisin' along. 

3 comments:

Brooke said...

This was a hard post to type up! My face is sticky from warm, wet tears.

"I'm not sure what today holds for me, but I'm ready." I am so blessed to KNOW YOU, and know how true that is!

You are in my prayers every day. You know that. I am eager to hear the follow up to this. You know that too.

Way to be strong every single day. I am proud of you. Keep fighting! I will have that welcome home party ready for you!

grace said...

i'm also eager to hear the follow up of this. i dreamt two nights ago that hugh and i showed up at the house mom rented in hawaii and that you were there! it was a big glorious surprise!

Ester Jean said...

love you, Michael.