Friday, April 19, 2013

Guilty

Hello to another day.  Fresh air and another day towards freedom.  Any day I wake up breathing is a good one.  Wasn't all that long ago I was waking up and off to find some means to alter my mind and get high from.

That was nearly five years ago since I last used a mind-altering substance.  I feel pretty good about that.  My life is a testimony that people can change.  When we truly decide to become a different person, we can.  Even an addict was sober at one time.  They made a choice to use a vice.  They changed the course of things.  So why can't we change back?

It won't be easy.  It's taken me five years to fully feel I've walked a safe distance from drugs.  The distance needed for me to stay free.  Over those five years my confidence has grown.  Not only that, but I want to encourage others who are where I used to be.

The Jailbird blog was once again recently put under an investigation.  When they questioned me, they asked me why I write for this blog.  Why don't I just write to my friends and family?  Why do I chose to write for an online blog?

Well....why wouldn't I?  If you could help somebody and chose not to, then shame on you.

For years I sold drugs and used drugs.  I helped destroy peoples lives.  Now, I have a chance to give something back.  There's a song that talks about letting your light shine.  I'm gonna let mine shine.  Whether it be to make people laugh, or to make them think. Perhaps it's to make you see your life isn't as bad as it could be.  There's always someone worse off than we are.  When asked why I do what I do, I said just that...and it seemed to be a good answer.

In the end they served me a D.R. (or disciplinary report).  Stating that I'm violating the Department of Corrections rule book by operating a business from prison.  I thought you got paid by a business.  I have yet to get paid.  Really I couldn't imagine getting paid to talk shit.  The whole blog is free. And...how, after reading the blog, anyone could write a disciplinary report about it amazes me.

Well, I'll take the D.R.  I'm guilty of giving inmates an opportunity to stay connected to their families with a shout-out.  Guilty of sharing my life in hopes someone may see there is hope.  However, you will never be charged to hear me rant and rave.  Brooke will never charge for the hours she spends typing all this up.  It's hard to find free stuff these days.  There's usually some catch.  Well...there's no catch here.  All we ask is that you smile.  Go tell someone you love them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wanted to tell you that my girlfriend was over visiting the other day and told me that she used to get on JJ every day to read it. She does or has done a lot of drugs too, and she said that there are drugs she has steered clear of BECAUSE of some of the stores she has read here. I don't think she ever left a comment, but I wanted to tell you that in real life, somebody said that you saved them from doing something really stupid. Like fucking OXY or heroin or some shit. Just wanted to tell you that. It meant a lot to her to see what you've been through.