Tuesday, May 7, 2013

J.J. Takes a Bow


My dad came to visit me last weekend. Two weeks before that, Brooke came to see me. During both visits there were guys I do time with enjoying visits with their families as well. Both Brooke and my dad were able to meet a couple of the guys that have graced the Jailbird Project.

Since starting the “shout-outs,” dozens of men have enjoyed taking part in giving their loved ones a message by means of the Jailbird blog. Jailbird originally started with both my art and short stories about my daily encounters. Over time, we opened the door for other inmates to speak their mind if interested. It seems that the idea of a prison blog is somewhat new. Every prison I go to immediately locks me up under investigation while they look over the webpage.

I have been told on different occasions that I cannot write the blog. ...That it's in violation of the department of correction's rules. In fact, it's not at all.

Coming to prison means you are taken out of your life on the streets. Your freedom of speech may not be taken. At time,s that offends people. It will happen whether you are in prison or in the free world. When you say cops are fat and sit on their asses eating doughnuts, it's gonna piss off the police out there as well as the police paid to babysit us in here.

My point is that, even though we all have free speech, it pays to pick your battles. The things I say on this blog are often times taken out of context. The media has always been good for that. The old cut and edit method. You go from hero to zero in seconds.

Well, as I spent time with my loved ones in the visiting park, I was blessed to meet family members of the men I do my time alongside. Seems the Jailbird isn't just offending people; some are truly enjoying the blog. I had a handful of people come up and tell me how the Jailbird has changed their life. How reading the blog had pulled them back from the edge. They said they didn't know what they would do without it. Ok...I'm bullshitting now.

I was told how cool it is and that families are touched to see their loved-ones on it. A couple ladies said it was well-written, but could I please curb my language a little bit? And you know what? I'm gonna work on that just for you. Along the way, I ask you to continue to work with me.

Allow me to personally thank each of you for following the blog. A few of you were friends of mine before prison. Thank you for taking this ride with me. Many others I don't know personally. You may have accidentally come across the Jailbird page. ...Sorry about your luck! Others have heard by word of mouth. Lately, many of you have sons, brothers, or husbands who are doing time with me.

Whatever has brought you here, please allow me to say thank you. Thank you for standing beside your loved one doing time. In some crazy way, I feel each of you stands beside me while I complete my sentence. And when someone asks you if you know anyone doing time, I hope you reply that in fact, you do.

The Jailbird blog has become an outlet for me. Writing about my life and how I feel lets me take this life a tad bit easier. On top of it all, lately we have had these shout-out sections, where my brothers join me in greeting and bragging on their family and friends.

As a reader, please feel free to take the time and leave a comment after anything you read on the blog. All comments are copied and sent back to the prison, where these men look forward to reading your words. Perhaps all you want to do is tell me I have a potty-mouth. Well, I hear ya!

Thank you, dear readers, for making the Jailbird one of the fastest-growing blogs in the United States. Quite frankly, this blog could save your life. We are currently researching whether or not it may cure cancer. It WILL reduce stress. And isn't laughter the best medicine?

Much love,
The Hooligan

1 comment:

you know who this is said...

I'd like to go on record as being a 28-year-old LADY who cusses way the fuck more than you do.