Sunday, February 6, 2011

Got Ink?

"Meet the man on the other side of the fence. The mouth behind the stories you read. The hand behind the art you see."




"I’m not able to remove my shirt for pictures, so I did the next best thing. I made an appointment with a friend who draws portraits. Yes Mom, I have a lot now.

Thank you Waylon for the time you invested in helping me put this together. You made my lips too big you fag

Usually I’m laughing because of my friend Scottie. He’s my go-to guy, and the proof-reader of all my bullshit. He was a fountain of jokes while we put this together. That’s ok - the final joke’s on you, buddy. I’m doing a nude portrait of you.

One of the first tats I got was my scorpion. I am a scorpio and had that done while I was in high school. My right arm is my guardian angels surrounded by clouds and tribal art. My left arm is all memorials. An eagle and American flag represent my grandfather, who served his country in World War II, and who passed away in 2008.

Kimmy’s memorial and Moment of Reflection are for all of those who have lost their lives to addiction. It also serves as a reminder to me of the life I lived, and the daily struggle I had with drugs.

Around my belly-button is a Cadillac sign and the date I was born: 1978. Paradise Road and Cloverleaf Lane were the crossroads where I grew up; simple times in my life.

A1-A and Avenue B became my place of solitude. Listening to the waves crash on the beach and the sun bringing in a new day are natural therapy.

On my hip is the woman who carries the weight of the world on her shoulders, drawn by my baby sister, and a reminder that she is always with me - I love you Gracie.

Since coming to prison I have studied the American Indian and the Aztec Warrior. The way of the warrior has much meaning to me. A warrior fights to the death for what he believes in. Family, friends, and freedom. One of my biggest fights is the fight against addiction. I do that one day at a time.

Where a boy once stood, today stands a man. A man who fights for everything he believes in: A Warrior."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes lips are too big and no dimples :(
Cari