Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Fade to Black

A few months ago my friend and brother Scott went home.  He finished his sentence and returned to the free world.  I called him tonight.

Scott told me about freedom.  How good it feels to be free.  I smile.  My friend has a job, works hard, and loves this.  I hear pride in his voice when he tells me he had a long day and just got home.  We spent our phone call catching up.  Scott already know what we do here.  I want to know what he does out there.  On top of a good job, he is busy being a dad, and is now dating a cool chick.  After catching up, Scott took time to encourage me.  That's my dog.

He told me my time will come before I know it.  Before long, I will be a free man myself.  I'll be damned if he didn't put my head in the clouds.

These 15-minute calls fly, and very quickly our call was over.  After my call to Scott, I called my woman.  She was in the check-out lane at the grocery store.  She asked how my call to Scott went.  I was excited to fill her in.  I felt good.  I'm explaining our conversation, she's asking me a question,  there is background noise here and I'm struggling to block it out.  She's asking me a question and at the same time the automatic teller at the check-out lane begins to scan items.  I hear all of this.   And....my brain freezes.

I mean my train of thought drives out of the station and I'm left standing on the platform...alone.  I'm so lost I can't even explain how I'm feeling.  No words will come.  I can't remember what I was saying.  My girl is asking if I'm OK.  I'm everything but OK.

My world consists of two reck yards a day, and three meals a day.  I am given the next day's schedule each night at 9 p.m.  I have a job.  I clean showers.  My whole life is planned out for me.  My life is what we call the "pound".  The compound.  A five-acre field with fence surrounding it.  Whatever I need and have to deal with is in this fenced area.  This is my life.

Tonight my life went over the fence and behind a shopping cart.  I met an automatic teller and had a fucking melt down.  I felt helpless.  Like a deer caught in headlights.  I was lost.  I tried like hell to pull myself back, but my lady caught me.  Perhaps she heard the tear that slowly ran down my cheek and splashed on the floor.  I try so hard to be a rock.  Most days I am.  Today, I realized I handle this world back here, but faced with a daily task of your world...I fell apart.

My woman caught me.  She took my hand and held me.  How does she do that anyway?  Usually, I try to fix the world.  Make people around me happy.  But today, I feel like Humpty-Dumpty.  My lady talked me back and I am going to be fine.  We all are.

Even if my lady has to put post-it notes on my forehead, I'm gonna make it.  I came too far to ever turn around.  Perhaps my wife will need to pack me a lunch along with the kids.  I have a bright future to look forward to even it it's a homemade Hormel honey baked ham sandwich.   Can I just ride the bus to work too?

Tonight, while Scott was telling me something I heard his girlfriend scream from the passenger seat.  I ask Scott if everyone is OK.  He answers me that they are just fine...he just flew through a red light...no big deal.  We both laughed.  His girl did not.  Guess he's still getting used to life out there too.  That's comforting.  At least we both have good women to babysit us.  I'm better now.  Back to my stoopid self.  I'm out.  PEACE!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brain fart, senior moment, etc.? The olds days of drugs ya would not even thought twice about a train of thought? Enjoy the mental clarity and future to come.

Anonymous said...

So insightful and moving. Thanks for giving us a look at what's inside your head. Even though your life is planned and you all wear the same uniform, you are a unique individual.