Sunday, March 11, 2012

We Salute You

Welcome to Chu-Lai, Vietnam.  The year is 1970. 

Flying as tail gunner, sitting behind an M-60 machine gun was one of the most dangerous places to be.  Technology wasn't what it is today and a door gunner literally sat hanging.  His feet out of the chopper while flying over tree level.  Dropping hand grenades from a moving helicopter into enemy bunkers was also the job description of a door gunner.





That was only one aspect of the battle a Vietnam-Vet faced.  When they came home, they face a whole new form of opposition.  These men were mere kids.  Fighting a war they were drafted into.  Only to come home and be spit at.  Literally.

As you sit here reading this, you know I was never in "Nam".  What I am is in prison.  The other day at mail call, I met my friend Norm who reads the same blog you do.  You met Norman the other day.  He was in Vietnam and lived to tell his story. 

He tell me about the war, while I tell him about prison.  We share war stories.  Norman knows all too well how it feels to wake up far away from home in a place you don't want to be.  That's the life of a prisoner, and a deployed soldier in some forsaken war zone. 

In order for me to get a clearer picture of what these veterans faced, I went to a man who sleeps only a few bunks away from me.  He too fought in Vietnam.  Many years ago he was a young man fighting in the same war Norman fought. 

Two soldiers who have became a major part of my life.  Norman greets me at mail call with stories of his younger days.  He helps keep me sane in my own battlefield.  Many days the battlefield of my mind.  At the same time he does this, the soldier on this side of the fence helps to free me.

Meet Joe.  Mr. Joe has become my legal counsel, and recently helped me file papers in the courts to try to adjust my sentence. 

Two soldiers.  One war.  Both came into my life and are helping me.  They fought many years ago in the same war.  Today, once again, they both have something in common.  They may no longer be fighting for the service, instead they are fighting to help the next generation. 

No matter when my freedom comes, I will never forget.  I will never forget the soldiers who fought for our country.  And today fight for me.  I give a personal salute to the two gentlemen who fight for me.  Thank you to the both of you.  Cheers to freedom...for our country and our minds.  Thank you Mr. Norman Nephew and Mr. Joe Magnotti.  Thank you both for being on my team.  Two men with much wisdom and knowledge to pass on.  If a younger generation will only listen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Norman. It is a joy to know how much you have enriched Michael's life. And thank you Joe for befriending my son. I too am from the Vietnam War era. I was engaged to a young man who died there...a lifetime ago. I too salute you both for serving your country in the past...and MY country. And thank you for helping my son through this time in his life.

THE MOM

Anonymous said...

A big salute to Mr. Norman and Mr. Joe, indeed! Thank you for fighting for our country, and thank you for fighting for Michael. Freedom is precious, and I am truly grateful to the both of you for being on Mike's team and helping him keep his mind free.

THE GIRL