Friday, May 25, 2012

From the Box to Food Service

The only thing certain about a prisoner's life is that everything is subject to change.  One day to the next.  Rules and regulations...all these change.  Here I am, quite certain I'm following all the rules of the land when I'm arrested and placed in the box.

Since coming to prison, I have learned to blend.  Work with what I am given.  However, this situation was different.  This trip to confinement is what we call back here, "on-the-house"...meaning I broke no rules to be thrown into confinement.  As the arresting officer said to me...."Mr. Smith, just look at it like a small vacation.  Catch up on some rest."

During the 13 days I was locked up, I did just that.  I was still frustrated knowing that this accounted to being in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Last time I went to the box, I knew I was dead wrong.  My mother was disappointed.  I understood exactly why they locked me up.  This time? Not-so-much!

Well, at least I didn't let my mother down.  My lady couldn't be upset.  Still, for the first couple of days I was quite pissed off about the disruption in my life.  Slowly that began to change.  Normal housing in prison has no A.C.  Our temperatures here in Florida are already in the 90s.  The box has A.C.  Next is the feeding schedule.  On the regular compound, you walk to the chow hall with your dorm.  Not only is it 90 degrees, but there are afternoon showers here as well.  Those "April showers that bring May flowers"....well that brings May showers too.  It's nearly a daily routine to not only get your meal, but get a shower as well.  Not so while sitting in the box.  They bring you your food tray.

After my first couple days in lock up, I began to see the benefits.  Even here in this small world you begin to adjust to things.  A trip to confinement means you will lose the bunk you had.  By the time you are released, someone else will fill that space.  This means a new bunk, and even a new dorm.  Many times a new job assignment.  These things are petty.  In the bigger picture I seem much more.

Like one day my mortgage payment is due, the transmission goes on the family car, and my dog runs away.  You know....the stuff country songs are made from.  I reckon I'll just smile.....knowing this too shall pass.  I'll reach back and pull out a memory of a time I was locked up and had nothing but a travel-sized toothbrush and half a bar of soap.  As long as I have a pulse, I'm alive.

I was just released after 13 days in the hole.  Just as I figured, they gave me a new job.  My new assignment will be an 8 to 10 hour shift in the kitchen.  Working food service.  Preparing food for my fellow brothers on this compound.  We just entered the hottest months of summer and I will be there for the next 6 months.  Food service is the most hated job on the compound.  You go in, put in your 6 months, then get out as quickly as possible.  Every other job they give you, there are ways to cut corners.  This is not possible in food service.  They work you decent.  One of my buddies told me with a 'smile'....."Well Smith, you'll have plenty of shit to write about now."

And he's right.  I'll do just that.  Count on it!  Even if I'm exhausted, I will still tell the stories of what I encounter.  HA!  At least I'm not in the box.  Good preparation for one day out there when I think I've had all I can take.

So the Hooligan is back.  The stories will continue.  The art will as well.  Stay tuned.  This blog reflects my life.  Always subject to change, but never a dull moment!!!  Hold on and live vicariously through me....your incarcerated friend,  The Tattoo'd Hooligan

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh damn, man, I'm sorry you got stuck with a hated job. Nobody wants to be in a kitchen that many hours a day (except my husband). I'm hoping they have AC in the kitchen at least! And hoping you still have time to write. I love you, brother! -Ester Jean

Anonymous said...

I'd be interested to hear more about life in the box. You've discussed how it messes with your mind, but didn't go too much into details-- do you get lonely? Are there people you can talk to through the slats in the doors? You said there's no sunlight-- why's that? Are we talking as dark as that "box" in The Shawshank Redemption?

I'd also be curious to learn about protective custody. Are they basically put in solitary confinement permanently?

Brooke said...

Thank you so much for your questions! I spoke to J.J. and shared your comment with him. He appreciated your questions, and wrote a new piece about confinement that is going out in the mail tonight. Stay tuned! We will have more on the "box" soon!