Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Wild, Wild West

So, here I sit listening to some country music drawing the American Dream. OK.  Perhaps not "America's" dream, just some dude's dream....which would be a chick with a big gun.  Likewise, women may share that same dream.  Well, a man with a big gun.  And.....that opens up a whole new topic.  I am now a convicted felon, and not allowed to own a firearm.  So, instead of a gun hanging in my truck's back window, there will be a bow with some arrows.

The other day, I promised my lady that I will still keep our home safe and secure.  No, I cannot pop-a-cap in an intruder.  Instead, he will feel like he stepped into the wild, wild west.  Meet Ted Fuckin' Nugent. 

Break into my house and I'm gonna light your ass up like a trophy buck, then I'm gonna do a little warrior dance.  I told my girl that instead of a musket above our fireplace mantle, we will hang a recurve bow.  She laughs.  She is always laughing at me.  I asked if I can wear a coon-skin cap.  She doesn't care.  Most women would recommend counseling, or some meds....not my lady.  She says I'm sweet. There is really nothing sweet about me.  I mean I hope that someone does break into my house just so that I can shoot them with a bow, in a coon-skin cap, and then do my warrior dance.


Hmmm.  This topic presents another aspect also.  Most fathers pass on hunting and fishing to their kids.  I possess a number of talents.  Not many should be passed to the younger generation.  Looks like fishing it is.  Thing is, fishing is boring.  So then we throw rocks in the water.  I may not be able to shoot guns, but I can throw a mean rock.  I'm also a fairly good shot with a bow. 

Do you suppose David's daddy was a felon?  Well, I mean he taught David to use the sling so well that David killed Goliath with a rock.  That's a pretty good shot. 

So, I see my kids telling their friends...."Well, I can't come over today because my dad is taking me to shoot the bow and practice the sling."  Really, that's fine.  Too many kids sit inside with a Nintendo controller in their hands.  My kids?  They are going to roam the neighborhood with sling shots.  HA!  The only time I'll get to shoot a gun is on their Nintendo.  That's a plan....I'll send them outside to throw rocks, while dad takes over the Nintendo.  Ahhh....parenting isn't so hard after all.  I will need to make sure the kids are throwing rocks at someone else's house....not ours.  (Oh, settle down....I am joking!  Well, not about not throwing rocks at our house.  But, I do know that they shouldn't be throwing rocks at anybody's house.) 

OK.  Just one more thing.  I have been listening to a  lot of country lately.  Zac Brown Band!  You guys ROCK!  Rascal Flatts, could you put some bass in your voice?  The lyrics are great though.

Hmmmm....I guess that's about all for now.  I'll check back later.  You all keep it real now.

2 comments:

sweetmelin said...

JJ ... long time, no comment. Yep, sometimes life just really gets in the way of living. Eh ... we do what we can. I've missed you. :) I was just logging into facebook and saw this post pop up.

Your references to using a bow and arrow as a weapon, as well as teaching your children the same, is actually very topical. THE HUNGER GAMES, 16 year old Katniss Everdeen, is a master badass with a bow and arrow, and yes, her daddy taught her before he died in a mine explosion. Great book, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I've got to admit, the thought of David's father having been a felon has never crossed my mind. I'm thinking most likely, no. haha

LOVE Zac Brown band so much! Really hoping to see them in concert this summer. Also love Rascal Flatts, and have already seen them in concert. Although, I do understand your, more bass, comment. Regardless, their lyrics are amazing. Each and everyone of their songs moves me in some way.

Have you heard their song, CHANGED? Wow ... and honestly, I do believe you could very much relate to the lyrics ... besides which, it's simply beautiful. I don't know how your music works on that side, but if you ever have a chance to listen to this particular song, I would highly recommend doing so. This is to say, if you haven't already, possibly you are totally familiar with it. Anyway, it gives me goosebumps.

CHANGED

I came up out of the water
Raised my hands up to the Father
Gave it all to Him that day
Felt a new wind kiss my face
Walked away, eyes wide open
Could finally see where I was going
It didn't matter where I'd been
I'm not the same man I was then

I got off track, I made mistakes
Back slid my way into that place where souls get lost
Lines get crossed
and the pain won’t go away
I hit my knees, now here I stand
There I was, now here I am
Here I am
Changed

I got a lot of “Hey, I’m sorrys"
The things I’ve done
Man, that was not me
I wish that I could take it all back
I just want to tell em’ that
Tell 'em that

I got off track, I made mistakes
Back slid my way into that place where souls get lost
Lines get crossed
and the pain won’t go away
I hit my knees, now here I stand
There I was, now here I am
Here I am

I'm changed for the better
More smiles, less bitter
I'm even starting to forgive myself

I hit my knee, I’m here I stand
There I was, now here I am
Here I am, Here I am, Here I am
Changed
Yes I am
I’m changed for the better.
Thank God I'm changed.

Ester Jean said...

Haha! I know my hubs will always want to shoot a gun (and probably will have more than make me comfortable!), but his weird fatherly project with his son will be digging a war bunker somewhere. Don't ask where. But that's the plan, and he tells our [infant] son about it and it makes me laugh too. You guys are good innovators. Arrows and rocks will be easier to come across than ammo anyway!