Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Along Came A Spider

With my new job in food service came a new dorm, a new bunk, new neighbors, and a new view out a different window.  Then, along came a spider that has given me an even better view than that window provided. 

Living in this window, not fourteen inches from my head, is a Brown Recluse spider.  I assume a completely sane person would remove the spider and tear down the web.  Thing is...the spider was there before me and nobody has been rushed to the hospital from a spider bite.  This logic may seem odd to you.  However, we ride man-made roller-coasters that can fail at any time.  We attend happy hour where we drink one too many and then drive home, putting not only our lives, but the lives of others on the line.  And this all seems completely sane to us.  Really it's all a matter of perspective I suppose.

I doubt this spider knows his own power.  His life consists of catching flies and the occasional moth.   Somewhere in society is a person who would like nothing more than to step on me and tear down my web.  So the spider can live in my window.  We are two rebels that deserve to live. 

I don't expect you to agree with me.  Case in point....

I have a toxic spider living inches from my head.  A spider that sticks to his web.  Coming out only at night to repair his web and collect his meal.  Two years ago my sister began a blog as a way for people to follow my life both before and during my incarceration in D.O.C.  As a reader you have watched that journey take place.  Within my first year imprisoned, my direct appeal was denied.  Fifteen months ago I asked the courts to again review my case.  A few weeks ago I filed a motion asking the courts to show cause and rule on that motion.

I let my family know what I was doing.  My woman asked if I was nervous.  I realized that in fact, I am not.  I'm just ready to know the courts decision.  Some things are out of our hands.  I did ask my lady if she could handle six more years if they again deny me.  My lady laughs and says, "Oh, Michael....you're a silly boy!!"  God bless the ladies in my life who see past my many faults and choose to love me unconditionally. 

Unconditional love brings me back to the spider.  Somewhere he probably has a mother who doesn't care that he is poisonous.  She loves him for who he is.  I'm just saying....

Society as a whole has begun to change the way they view people.  The older generation of conservatives is slowly being replaced by a more liberal group.  So even though I can't flip burgers at McDonald's, I can marry another man if that's what I choose.  There was a time being labeled a convicted felon excluded you from many jobs.  Although that is changing also,  it is ironic that it never seemed to exclude us from cleaning your pool or carpet, picking up your trash, changing the oil in your car, mowing your grass, or building your home.  For that matter, the logic behind some people's thought process amazes me.  And you thought I'm crazy because a spider lives in my window.

Today the number of felons has sky-rocketed.  More than likely you know one, if not have one directly in your family.  Perhaps you are one.  Do you ever feel like that spider?  Wishing you could just maintain your web and catch a few flies without some sorry-ass prick coming by to tear down your web?



Keep reading this blog.  It's like finding Waldo with a twist!  What's that Tattoo'd Hooligan up to today?  I'm somewhere within the parameters of this chain-length fence.  Whether I'm marching in a formed line or spraying food off cafeteria trays...I'm in here.  Be happy that you are out there.   

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Unconditional love is unconditional love. Loving you, silly boy! Your Lady. <3