Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Judicious Jailbird Has A Purpose

From day one, the sole purpose of this project has been to inspire change.  To challenge people to think bigger than their own problems.  Sometimes when we see others who deal with problems far greater than our own, we are able to look back and change the mountain back to the mole hill it really is. 

I'm a firm believer I can't help myself if I point fingers at others.  That's why I write about myself.  I don't talk down about being in prison.  I have learned many lessons here.  I don't talk bad about the people and staff in charge over me.  No...I openly talk about me.  My ups and downs and failures.  And what I plan to do to change them.  That's the Judicious Jailbird project in a nutshell. 

The prison I am currently at openly claims to be faith and character based, claiming to help inmates to better their lives.  In hopes they won't return to a life of crime once released.  Here I am.  Since coming to prison, my character has changed.  I also have faith.  Today I have faith in myself, and in God.  Shame on me if I choose not to pass that freedom onto the next person in need.  I feel that one day I will answer to God concerning what I did with the gifts He gave me.  And so I write.  I write about my life.  In hopes it may reach out and touch you.

Christians of old were burned at the stake for what they believed in.  The message they tried to pass to others.  I have been blessed to be able to pass this message to you. 

Judicious Jailbird is currently under review by the prison system.  The biggest question here is will they say "no" to "no"....or will they see change? 

Many times when a platform is created it's then used for selfish reasons.  I hope that during this review eyes will be open to see the bigger message.  A message of hope.  Before prison I was a junkie.  I had no idea I could draw.  Before prison I never tried to inspire others.  I chased drugs.  They consumed my life.  Today my art helps me do my time.  Passing hours of this prison sentence.  Not to mention keeping the BIC pen company in business since I use nearly six pens a week.  Yes....you read that correctly. 

I hope you enjoy what you see when you sit down to read the Judicious Jailbird.  You will never see me bad talking those placed in authority over me.  I don't like the canteen prices and my mattress is a bit too worn....HOWEVER!  In the end these are the very things that remind me to never come back to this place. 

Perhaps I can give you just enough of a glimpse into this life that you decide to never come here.  That's the mission of the Judicious Jailbird.  And this is J.J. signing off.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I found this blog thanks to Lou Brutus. As an outsider, we only hear the "bad" things involved with prisoners. In the short time I've followed you, I'm thoroughly impressed with the changes you've embraced! We all need positivity, and sometimes it takes drastic measures to make us reevaluate what's important in life. My hope for you, is that the "Powers that be" understand and see the positivity in what your doing here and allow you to continue JJ!!

Brooke said...

Casey, thank you for your comment! But more importantly, thank you for taking the time to read and understand the purpose of the Judicious Jailbird. I share J.J.'s stories to help show others that change can be made in your life no matter where you have been. Your past does not need to define your future. So, again....thank you!

GOOD NEWS? J.J. has been released from confinement!!! The Judicious Jailbird will continue to bring you stories and art.

And, of course, cheers to Lou Brutus!