Thursday, August 30, 2012

A Person's A Person

A story from Brooke:

I was talking to J.J. the other night.  He was telling me about all the things that filled up his day.  How another day clicked by.  His morning started by going to medical for a routine shot.  And that appointment went something like this.....

The nurse asked him to sign his name for his file.  [No big deal, right?]  Well.....first he goes on about what a big deal it is that the nurse let him use her pen.  Apparently, most camps prefer that you bring your own pen.  They do not want you touch their belongings.

Next.....J.J. goes on to explain how she was sniffling and wiped her pen with a disinfectant wipe prior to handing the pen to him.  J.J. was shocked by her kindness, and that she took the time to protect him from her.

Then.....J.J. shared his conversation he had with her:

[J.J.]  Looks like you are little under the weather.
[Nurse]  Yes.  I use an inhaler, but this has been going on for a few days so I think it is time for me to go see the doctor.
[J.J.]  Well, be sure to take care of yourself.
[Nurse]  Looks up at him with surprise expression then says, "Thank you.  Have a good day."
[J.J.]  You too.

Not that big of deal?  You should have heard his voice.  Then he said, "It was really cool.  She treated me like a person."

Did something inside of you change when you read that last sentence?

I couldn't believe what I heard when he said that.  That last sentence.  The way that he said it.  How much he really meant that.  What that pen meant to him.  What that quick conversation meant to him.  I quietly responded with "you are a person."    

J.J. continued with, "I know, Brooke.  But they do not always treat you like a person on this side of the fence.  I am constantly surprised by this camp.  Today, I felt like a person."

I am so glad that J.J. is at a better place!  It is AWESOME that he has new opportunities.  That he will get to hold a guitar in his hands again soon. AND....I am glad that he feels like he is treated like a person.   He is, after all, a person!!!


  

No comments: