Monday, August 13, 2012

Crank

Flipping through my handheld, portable am-fm radio the other day.....I heard a Pentecostal preacher state "Church!!  You better turn before you burn!"  This made me chuckle.  Then I remembered another familiar quote....something about all these dudes in prison who "all of a sudden turn to Jesus".  And it made me think...."Why is that?"  Well......

Even a nice dog will bite when cornered in an alley.  I assume that a prisoner invites any option when they feel at the dead end of life.  The problem is: once given back his freedom, will he stay rooted in Salvation?   

Perhaps instead of pointing out what a prisoner does when up against a wall....maybe you should consider exploring new and alternative options.  I will assume you're probably a real responsible parent as well.  You want to make sure your child doesn't wind up in prison....deflowering your upstanding family name in the community.  Yet in the process, you have become an unapproachable parent. I hope it's OK if your teen turns to God, when they don't feel like they can turn to you. 

I don't figure you would like to pull into McDonald's and be told there is no longer a menu for you to choose from.  All you can get is a happy meal.  Yeah.....your not gonna be real happy about that.  So you enjoy having some of your own choices don't you?  Yeah....I thought so. 

This is not me throwing a jab at you.  I'm merely encouraging you to be open to options in any form.  I'm currently reading a book called "Crank".  No, it's no about engine parts.  The book is about the drug.  Crank.  Crystal meth.  Ice.  Whatever you want to call it.  One of the only drugs you can shoot, smoke, snort, eat or drink.  The book refers to it as the MONSTER. 


In this book, a teenage girl becomes hooked on the drug.  The young girl knows she has a problem, but isn't able to talk to her parents about it.  i was a young person on drugs, and couldn't turn to my parents. 

My daughter turned 15 just the other day.  When I write to her, I often talk to her about things teenagers face.  Instead of trying to act like bad doesn't exist, I want to discuss it.  I want there to always be open lines of communication. 

Right now I am in prison.  That makes open lines of communication even harder.  So what do I do?  Yeah....I turn to God.  Unfortunately, I didn't do that before prison.  No, I'm the dude who came to prison, but once against the wall, decided I needed some help.  And....in doing so, I believe I have found the answers to become a better person. 

Please don't take away from my experience with your theory on prisoners who find religion.  I didn't find religion....I got saved.  Do you understand the difference?  That's why I'm free even behind this fence. 

If you have a teenager yourself, consider reading the book called "Crank".  Perhaps if will open your eyes.  I'm trying to open your eyes....in the end if may be your teenager who does instead.  My teenager has opened my eyes....perhaps more than anything else in life could.  The other day she turned 15.  Today I believe God gave her to me to forever change my life.  She has made me better.  This year, her birthday marked two years since I smoked.  I'm not going to say "turn before your burn".....but I will say "turn before you hit that tree!"

HA! HA!  Gotcha.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

1. I'm sorry your mistakes cost so much.
2. Thank you for letting me learn from them.