Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Meet J.J.'s Buddy Chris

To all the readers:

This is the first time I have written a post for J.J.  So first let me introduce myself.  My name is Chris Manikowski.  Now I am DC # Q20682.  I am currently incarcerated with J.J.  I have know him for over two years, along with being co-owner of the granola bar/jolly pop business.  So when he asked me to write a post, I said sure thing.  This was a couple of months ago, but I could not figure out what to write about.

Apparently, what happens in here on a daily basis is interesting to all of you.  But nothing stuck out to me as worthwhile (although the prison hustle piece came from some brainstorming on our part while walking the track).  Then, J.J. came up with the Thanksgiving Day shoutouts (so, if you want to see what I look like, scroll down the page a little....I'm on there).  And it got me thinking....

What am I really grateful for?  Well, I'm locked in a building with a bunch of dudes, I'm told what to do and when to do it, I can't see my family or friends and all for the reasonable future...but it could be worse.  I get outside twice a day.  Break the rules almost as often as I follow them, and see my friends and family at visitation on the weekends.


Still, it's a good question that many people never stop and take the time to consider.  Before I was imprisoned, it seemed like I had the perfect life and was on track to achieve everything I wanted out of life.  I had just finished my second year at Florida State University, was in a fraternity, had great grades, lots of friends...you get the idea. 

Then, in one night, I lost all that I had worked the last 20 years for.  I went to Spring break in Panama City, got into a hit-and-run, and here I sit.  After five years, I have a pretty good idea of what's important to me, who I am, who I want to be.  That's the great thing about prison...you have plenty of time to think.  Many people (especially on the street) are either too busy or don't care enough to do this.  I know that I didn't when I was out there, but it gives you a good perspective on life.  It takes some significant event, usually catastrophic, to prompt someone to evaluate these things.

This piece is both a supplement and a challenge:  this holiday season, I'm urging all of you to sit down for an hour or two, once a day/week/month, and reflect on what/who you are thankful for.  Ask yourself who would still be there if you ended up in prison tomorrow?  Of five years down the road?  What do you want to be doing in the next few years?  Where do you want to be?  Who do you want to be?  Sometimes we just get stuck on autopilot and never realize our blessings.  Appreciate the now.  Live in the moment.  But always with an eye on the future.  Don't go through life like a robot only to find out 30 years have gone by and you feel like you've missed out on so much.  Before I came to prison, I took my family for granted, along with my friends, even my freedom.  I won't make that mistake again and the people who are important to me know how I feel.

I suggest you do the same.  So the next time you have a few minutes to think, ask yourself those questions and you might be surprised by the answers.  Happy holidays everyone.  I'm out.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for writing in, Chris! I'm late to the party, but I appreciate your post.