Thursday, December 13, 2012

Merry Go 'Round

Does your life sometimes feel like a merry-go-round?

I heard this song the other day...

"Brothers hooked on Mary Jane, Momma's hooked on Mary Kay and daddy's hooked on Mary two doors down."  (Kasey Musgraves "Merry Go 'Round") 


Sometimes when the radio plays it just fills that void of otherwise empty space in the real estate of my brain.  Once in awhile through something comes through my ear piece that causes me to stop and say, "hmmmm."

When I heard these lyrics come across the tuner, I stopped to pay closer attention.  You live in a house with three people, who sleep in three different rooms, and head three separate ways in three cars after each on eats a different breakfast.  Rushing off to a job you don't like to pay bills at a home that's too small.  You fell into a rut that you motor through on auto pilot day in and day out.  And they say it's the "American Dream".  

You have a house you live in and don't own.  Drive a care that's montly payment covers the interest only.  Fish in a boat you still owe on and this is the big dream?  Some dream.

I live in prison with a large number of men who truly love it here.  They have three meals a day, a bed, and a babysitter to plan their day out for them.  Wait, did I say men?  No, these are not men.  They are juvenile delinquents.  Still, they make part of that merry-go-round sung about in this country song I have been inspired to write about.

Not many families sit down together at the end of the day to enjoy a home cooked meal.  Moms off at work all day herself.  Probably making more than the man does.  On the way home she picks up the kids from aftercare since they spent an hour of their day hanging there after school dismissed them.  Mom feeds them some spaghetti-o's or some other microwavable gourmet dinner from a can.  Then mom feeds herself a tall glass of wine.  Dad's already had one or two in the truck on the way home...

And somebody had the ball to call this the "American Dream".

These days I dream of freedom.  I expect that's also the dream of American.  Sometimes Life puts a stranglehold on you so tight you lose sight of the mission.  This merry-go-round we call life will leave you dizzy and disorientated.  Parents often times think they will make up for the lost time once the kids grow up.  Maybe it's just me, but why don't you try sitting everyone down for dinner one night.  Ask your 5 year old kid to tell you about their day.  See if that isn't some funny shit.

We've all called into work once or twice recovering from a weekend of getting our drink on.  You probably never called in and took your kid fishing instead.  Or how about the person your married to.  Every just clear you schedule to go eat ice cream at the zoo?  Remember we all have a dream.  That little kid that looks up to you has a dream.

Maybe instead of chasing a dream, we could just embrace the life we have.

Like any good country song, play it backwards....

Dad quits visiting Mary two streets down, brother gives up Mary Jane and momma lays off the Mary Kay. 

Live today since it's all you have.  There is no promise for tomorrow.  Something to think about during these hectic holidays.  I'm just keeping it real.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its bruce . On my way home. I will keep in touch. It is getting cold here.

Anonymous said...

Keep it real for sure. Life can be soooooo hectic and we can overlook the things that really matter. I spend a week working at a job I do love, and feeling that somehow I might make a difference in the world. But it's the time with my children and grandchildren that I cherish. Coffee with my son on Saturday morning.....seeing my 6 1/2 month old grandson's first tooth.....listening to my granddaughters exclaim about their school day and watching kids play soccer. Looking at an amazing piece of art a granddaughter has drawn. Life is good!! We must enjoy each moment...just as you said. I am truely blessed and pray that each one who reads this blog recognizes the blessings in their own life. Be thankful, open your eyes and see, open your ears to hear and open your hearts to love.

The MOM

Brooke said...

Bruce!! J.J. asked that I thank you for stopping by. He hopes that you are well! Cheers to you!

Ester Jean said...

We spend an hour together eating dinner. Don't have TV and won't allow it on during meal times. That rule WILL stay, no matter how old our kiddo is :) Love you, bro. This was a good post. I'll update you soon on how we try to live to the fullest...