Thursday, January 10, 2013

An Important Visit

Well, looking at yet another year in the rear-view.  Wondering where the time went, but I'm certainly not complaining.  I see a new year ahead and one less I'll spend without my family.  Can't complain about that.  Looking back I remember the day a judge sentenced me to twelve years behind this fence.  I was much greener then and had a lot of growing up to do.  There was a time I wondered if I could make this journey.  Not only am I making the trip, but I'm learning lessons I can hold on to for the rest of my life.

I enjoyed a visit the other weekend from my aunt and uncle.  My uncle who is waiting for a kidney transplant.  The last visit we shared was a couple months ago.  During that visit I encouraged my uncle to live life to its absolute fullness.

This visit I asked him what he was doing to enjoy life.  I'm used to getting answers like, "well....this bill was due and I pulled some overtime to cover it."  Or "something else came up and the tires on the car needed to be replaced."  So, I was truly blessed when I got the answers of....

"I've been fishing a lot."  My uncle told me the Spanish Mackerel were in the jetti so thick the water was churning.  He said as soon as his line hit the water he was reeling in a fish.  My aunt verified that his story was indeed true...since she had been only feet away watching the pelicans fly over and dive bomb down on the bait fish.  The picture they painted was perfect.  No doubt in my mind they have both been living life.

This man married my aunt twenty years ago.  He told me this with a smile during our visit.  Obviously that ranks pretty high on his list since I heard it right next to the fishing story.  Though I can't quite remember whether it came before or after the Spanish Mackerel took his bait.

At one point I pointed out my new art on my hands.  I explained what hold fast means to me.  I then went on to say that yes, I have a lot of tattoos....then pointed out that they have to love me because I'm family.  Even if they don't particularly care for my art work.  My uncle looked at me and said, "what tattoos?"

There's a country song that says to live life like your dying.  My aunt and uncle are two people who are doing just that.   

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They are some for-real unconditional-love-offering sweetie-pies! So glad you got to see them... that they got to see you. Love you, bro!