Thursday, January 17, 2013

High Cost of Living



Just sitting here in room 3107 listening to the songs that shape my life.  Songs that tell a story.  Today my hat is off to a music man name Jamey Johnson. 

About three years ago I was walking the track at Gulf Correctional Institute when a song came across the radio that struck me to the core.  The song was High Cost of Living by Mr. Johnson.   The song goes on to say it ain’t nothing like the cost of getting high.  He speaks of all the life drugs rob you of.  I remember hearing the song and immediately I was in a re-run of my life.  There I was, walking a track in one of Florida’s hardest prisons.  Lost in thought about what my drug use had taken from me. 

Well…a few years have gone by and they don’t play that song much on the radio no more.  So when I went down to download new songs to my MP3, I punched in a request for High Cost of Living. 

Sitting here now, I have a change of perspective.  Last time I heard the song I was one foot in prison, one foot still in the free world.   Today, I’m both feet in sobriety.  I have a whole new appreciation for these lyrics.  Instead of crying over what I lost, I can smile at the chance I have to get I all back.  And I’m well on my way.

My very next music choice was a little number by Mr. Jimmy Buffet….A Pirate Looks at 40.  I smile as I tap my foot thinking to myself I too am a pirate born in the wrong year.  Instead of sailing the seas in search of treasure, I was digging to the bottom of a cereal box to find it.  I was raised eating Pop Rocks and french rolling my pants.  Back when a pack of smokes rolled up in your t-shirt sleeve was the cool look. 

These days kids run around in skinny jeans, wearing their sneakers in neon colors.  They have no idea was “french roll” is….and if you have a youngster sporting skinny jeans and a shag hair cut….that’s the new rebel.  Just smile…there’s a whole lot worse stuff he could be into.  Look where my two feet are planted.  Be happy your youngster has two feet on a skateboard.  Keep him that way.

My daughter is on her way to being 16.  She’s 15 and a half now.  I figure I’ll throw that in since kids seem to want you to recognize that extra few months of life.  She’s not smoking cigarettes behind the skating rink like I was.  She has her butt in a church pew instead.  She gets good grades in school and is the best thing I ever did with my 33 years of life.  She has my talent to make art and she makes me proud.  One day I hope to make her proud as well.

I have a past history of addiction and miles of mistakes and poor choices.  Still…I sort through it all and make the best of it.  What’s your past look like? 

My friend told me the other day she married the wrong man.  Yet she has two beautiful children to show for that mess. 

Even on a cloudy day we know the sun is up there.  Somewhere…trying to shine through.  Learning to see life through eyes filled with love is priceless.

A special thanks to Jamey Johnson and Mr. Jimmy Buffett for letting the sun shine through my clouds.  As always, a special thanks to my lady, my daughter, my mother and all my sisters….the women who stand beside me. My hats off to you all.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are the sun that shines on me! I will always be by your side, loving you like crazy. ~ Your Lady

Anonymous said...

Michael,
I wish we had the opportunity to meet in person...but one day we will. Please let me introduce myself...I am your lady's best friend...well after you, that is. You know, at first...if I can be totally honest here...and why not...I wanted to kick your ass...NOT that that is even a remote possibility...but as you know, your lady is a very special lady...and I often tell her that I don't share well. :) However, as I dive into this blog and try to get the "Cliff Note" version of the past several years, I see the reason for her strength. She may tell me that I have attributed to some of it...but I think it is definitely more you than me. And...I am OK with that...for now. :) As I said earlier...one day...soon...we will meet and we decide how the partnership will go...partnership of sharing one amazing girl as a best friend that is. Obviously, as you know, the past years and certainly most recently life has been hard for many different reasons for my sweet friend. I want you to know how grateful I am that she has you...and I truly mean that. I will ALWAYS be here for her...but I know that you will too. For that, I feel like I can already call you a friend. And...for the record...please know that when I talk about your lady...my lady...our lady...I get very possessive. BUT...it is all talk. :) When we meet in real life...I will be the one cowering in the corner. Just ask your lady's intimidating sis. :) Being that I am talking about my BFF on here...I could talk for hours. You will learn that...but I will spare you. For now...let me just say, It's nice to "meet" you. Please continue to take care of our lady!
~YOUR new BFF...through association!

Anonymous said...

As you know I was recently locked in confinement over this very blog. At which time I was asked why it is that I write for this project. My main reason being that I am not the man that I use to be. Prison has brought about many positive changes in my life. I am blessed that YOU can meet the man I am today. The man that will forever love and respect OUR mutual friend. Thank YOU for taking the time to sit down and read about life and get to know who I am today. I am happy to have a new BFF (whatever that means....hahaha, joking!).

Anonymous said...

Whew...I can't tell you what a relief it is to hear your response and know that I didn't piss you off! :-) I honestly can't wait to meet you and know that we will get along very well! (Mostly because of OUR true love...but I will admit that you had me at Jimmy Buffett!) He too is one of my great loves! :-)
Again...let me just restate that it is truly so wonderful to "meet" you...and I look forward to whatever is to come...
Your most awesome - newest BFF! :-) You will all too quickly learn the true meaning of that acronym.

Anonymous said...

I love you both, so very much! Thank you for loving me the way that you do....to both of you. You both are so special to me and my heart. ~ Your lady