Sunday, February 10, 2013

A Man Named Norman

Many posts ago I introduced two men who play a big role in my life.  One helped me prepare my legal documents for the courts.  The other writes me letters of encouragement and puts some funds into my canteen account.  Both are Vietnam Vets who served their country in one of the most controversial wars of all time. 

Mr. Magnotti was introduced to me on this same side of the fence.  A man named Norman writes me from the free side of the fence. 

A few weeks back, Norm said he was headed down my way and would like to meet in person, if that was cool.  I smiled and said, "Hell, yeah!"  They called me out to get my pass and head to the visiting park at about 8:50 a.m.  As I headed out my only thought was how do you greet a man you only know through letters?  Do you shake hand or have a hug? 

And a hug it was.  Followed by microwavable sandwiches and much laughter.  We talked about women, the war, playing golf and ice fishing.  There was never a dull moment.  Felt good to meet Mr. Norm in person. 

I would like to again say thanks for being a true friend to me.  Some days I look at my life here and wonder why?  Why am I here?  And why for this long?  Then I see the changes.  Norm and I spoke about sobriety and living life above the law.  I looked across the table today at a man who drove all the way down from Michigan to see me. Sure it helped I'm also in Florida....where it's just a tad warmer than Michigan.  Haha!

Thank you Mr. Norm, a true friend.  See you next time! ~ The Hooligan ~

Mr. Norm on the left, and J.J. on the right.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

Norm, you are such a bad-ass dude! I am glad that the two of you got to hang out!!

Anonymous said...

You are the man Norm!! All that boy could do was talk about how great it was to meet you in person and that the time flew by....he enjoyed it more than you will ever know. Thank you....oh my....thank you. For being willing to meet someone through letters. And encourage him and accept him for who he is. Thank you, thank you.

The MOM