Monday, July 25, 2011

Shout-Outs June & July

Since J.J. started, I have tried to take the time to thank each one of you for stopping by to check us out, both Ester and myself.

In a very short time, numbers have grown by leaps and bounds.  One thing I hear over and over is how people appreciate my bluntness.  …Which brings me to the point at hand.

Not long ago, Ester ran a piece called Dark Days.  That piece was brutally honest and really showed how this place can get to you.  At the time I wrote that, I was deep in a hole.

Bear with me for a moment….

I am a 32-year-old, tattooed prisoner who spent the last 15 years of my life as an addict to street drugs.  I talk shit about my life and Ester brings it to you on Jailbird.  I laugh and refer to all of us as Hooligans.  Yeah, you al are a lovely bunch of Hooligans.

Just three days after Dark Days dropped, letters of support and encouragement came in from all across the U.S.  That’s not joke!  People I have never met, or barely know, took the time to show me some mad love.

You guys really reached out to me.  Here I am, trying to reach out there, and when push came to shove, the Hooligans reached in here and picked me up.  This shout-out is for you.  You know who you are, and each one of you is awesome

One comment really hit me.  I made a comment in Dark Days about the people who hauled ass on me.  An old friend said, “Let them go!  Replace them with people who love and truly care about you.”  When your letters began to roll in, I realized that I already have.

Sure, there’s gonna be some haters, but hell, stick around long enough and the Hooligan crew might just win you over J

Maybe you just started coming by.  Perhaps you are not sure what to think of this blog.  It all started with just my immediate family and a few friends.  Today, this project has Hooligans all across the U.S. and even farther.  Many of the people who read just don’t leave comments.  I wonder at time just how many readers there really are.  Honestly, it doesn’t matter.  The people who are here are incredible.

Thanks to ALL of you.  I felt such love the other day as I sat and read your beautiful letters.  Some of you sent jokes and made me laugh.  Others spoke heartfelt words of encouragement.  You are an incredible bunch of people.  I am unable to read other blogs (ha!  …Or even this one!), so I’m not sure how they work.

That’s why I’m taking time to tell you all this.  If you are a part of this project, you are a part of something big.  J.J. has picked up some truly wonderful people J

Please remember to tell Ester thanks.  This would not be possible if it weren’t for my kick-ass sister (really – it’s weird for me to type this stuff up.  Michael, do you think I can’t hear you talking about me?  I’m RIGHT here!  Hell-o!?  Ha ha!)

Much love to you sissy, and a big Thank You to the Hooligan crew.  You truly are a lovely, one-of a kind bunch!

-J.J. 


P.S. EThoma, thank you from both of us for the stamps!  I am sure Scottie appreciates your generosity too!  XOXO-Ester Jean

No comments: