Sunday, July 31, 2011

Coffee, Anyone?


 Sunday morning and I just hit the local Starbucks with my mom.  Well, not really, but in my land of make-believe, I can go anywhere.  Who says we ever grow up?

…More like me leaned on a pay-phone with a plastic coffee cup in one hand.  The other hand holds my cheat-sheet, which is a small notepad with the topics we will try to discuss in our short 15 minutes of talk time.  …Which is never enough.

That’s crazy in itself, since as a free man I never called any of my family.

The phone is cradled on my chin, and I’m crossing off topics as we get done with them.  First I have to find out how all my brothers and sisters are.  Then we branch out from there.  For a quick minute, there is uneasiness until I hear Mom say all is good.  Personally, my biggest fear is that someone I love dies and I'm not able to say goodbye and pay my respects.  That’s probably a prisoner’s #1 fear.

My grandfather passed away two Christmases ago, and I had to deal with that on my own.  …Talk about dark days!  Whew!

Back to the phone - Mom is telling me the low-down.  I hear her take a drag from her cigarette and exhale.  Mom, you still trying to quit?  OK, I’ll stop.  Not really – I’ll ask again next time we talk.

Mom didn’t smoke my whole life until I came to prison.  The day she found out my appeal was denied, Mom picked up a pack for the first time in 25+ years and once again began puffing.  Normally I wouldn’t say anything – you know, pot and the kettle – but I did quit last August, so I’m coming up on one year now.

After Mom catches me up on family news (and after her cigarette), she goes and signs on to J.J.

One more thing that strikes me as funny.  I have to call 3 or 4 times in rapid succession to wake Mom up.  She was out drinking last night with her friends.  Oh, the irony!

Mom says there is a new art piece and a guest post by Ester.  Why my sister is considered a guest writer, I don’t know.  This is more her project than it is even mine.  I love to read my sister’s posts.  Come on, Mom, let’s have it!

I love the way Ester writes.  She hooks you in.  Her descriptions of the blog as a project was wonderful.  Mom read me her piece.  I enjoyed it.  Yeah, we could keep the stamp-man in business, that’s for sure.  I use a book of stamps every two weeks, if not more.  (Sorry, Scottie!  And thanks to your mom – yeah, you both are contributing to this project as well.  Much love!!)

Mom says she loves the art of the love-birds.  I catch hell for doing that kind of art back here.  Lately, I have done love-birds, flowers, and butterflies, and the most recent was a fairy.  Even my dorm sergeant came by (all my officers come by to see my latest art).  He says, “Uhh… Smith, you OK?”  I laugh.  I’m quite secure in my manhood.  Besides, after you see Tinkerbell, tell me I can’t draw one bad-ass fairy!

(Copyright M.S. 2011)

I don’t like ruts.  Been living in deep ruts for years before prison.  Today, I hate them.  I don’t even want my art to begin to look the same.  I do feel I have created my own ‘style.’  But why put a skull in every piece I draw?  So say hello to the butterflies and fairies J

Besides, I figure I need to be comfortable drawing anything, really.  Who knows what someone may want when they walk into my shop?  Plus it’s fun.  Taking something ordinary and adding my own style to it.  That’s what makes something unique.

Mom and I talk about all of this stuff on the phone, and then some.  My list has been checked off and the coffee drained from my cup.  Now I have to pee.  Not now!  My 15 minutes are nearly up and my Mom is telling me about someone she ran into the other day at the beach.

Mom says a beautiful, pregnant woman walked up to her and told Mom she reads J.J. (that was Mom’s description).  Turns out I remember this woman, and I’m sure she remembers me.  I just think it’s cool how many of you are listening to me.  People have begun to come up to my mom and my sisters and mention J.J.  …Makes me smile!  Then again, we are from a small town.

While I have your attention, there’s a band in Northern Michigan called Controlled Burn.  My brother is the bassist in that band.  For the life of me, I can’t get him to read this blog.  How about we reach out to him?  Somebody out there sees that Controlled Burn is playing some local bar… stop in and look up their bass-player.  Just say, “Wazz up?”  Show some love and when he asks who the hell you are, just tell him you’re a friend of his big brother.  (ß Big brother is always watching!)

Or, just for fun, tell him you’re D.E.A.!  That would probably make a funny post for you.  Yeah, do that and we’ll give you a guest post!  For real! 

Bottoms up, boys and girls!

And congratulations to the beautiful pregnant woman from Higgins Lake.

Much love,

M.S.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I feel like my entire life is out there on the social network!! (Really glad it's not the ENTIRE) And in case anyone cares, I am quitting smoking; and have only smoked for one year. Something about the stress I was feeling, although cannot for the life of me imagine why. I so enjoy coffee with Michael though the prison crap is awful. When we visit I get two packages of the instant and put them in one half cup of water--I like expresso and that stuff just doesn't cut it. I have enjoyed the change up in art stuff and am so pleasantly surprised at your skills and ability. You keep getting better and better at this stuff!!

The MOM