Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Again, I Say Thank You

Looking Through the Glass and Dark Days have become two of the heaviest pieces I have written to date - A small glimpse into my world - The way I see things from this side of the fence.  Those pieces had such an effect on a few of you that I have had a couple people step up and open a window for me.  It has touched me in such a way that I would like to share.

I start with my baby sister.

Grace lives in New York City.  She works hard and plays a tad harder.  Grace saves up and travels.  Since I came to prison, Grace has walked me all over NYC with her. 


I’ve been to Times Square, seen the Statue of Liberty, and walked the Brooklyn Bridge.  


I’ve been to Battery Park – a.k.a. Graffiti Park – and been to watch a concert.

(Photo by G.S., Band Featured: Not Blood, Paint

You see, she takes pictures for me, then tells me the story.  I saw all these places through her eyes.  Gracie knows I love body art, so she takes great pictures of people with art on their skin.  …But absolute best?  She took me to Africa.  I got to see the Victoria Falls. 

(Thank you for the photos, sister!)

…One of the natural wonders of the world!  It was great!

My girl Cari lives in the dirty south and takes me along for birthday parties and back-yard BBQs.  On Memorial Day, we went and watched fireworks.  Every time Cari sees someone I know, she makes them sign something for me.  I have cards, pieces of paper, and plenty of bar napkins with messages from my old crew.

(Borrowed from Passive-Aggressive Notes)

Elizabeth has been reading for some time, and after Dark Days, she wrote me.  We were talking about when the fair came to town.

(Borrowed from Pure Michigan)

I love the fair.  Dunk tanks, the Gravitron, winning stuffed teddy-bears, eating elephant ears and cotton candy….   Well, it was a date.  We went to the fair together.  Eating cotton candy, popping balloons for a prize, and watching the drunk "carnies" load rides.  I even got to pet a pig at the petting zoo. 

(Disclaimer: Not Elizabeth)

…All from the comfort of my cell block.

As you can see, it’s been a pretty busy month for me.

Brooke wrote and told me that she had tickets to see Willie.  …That would be Willie Nelson. 

(Photo by Shawano Cleary for the Kalamazoo Gazette... click on the photo for a full article)

Yeah, I had never seen him before.  She didn’t tell me that she and her sister were going to take me along.  The only thing missing was a hang-over!  …And a very special thank-you to both of you wonderful ladies.  We’ll have to go again – just let me know.

California Candy piled me up with the whole fam-damily and we headed to the comedy club.  You all know how Candy can talk… and talk.  She nearly had us thrown out, but we made it. 

(Language warning: Lots of the F-word... Also: Not Candy :)

…And a fine time it was.  Next time, tattoos and hang-overs are on me!!  

I said before that you are a bunch of fine Hooligans.  A fella couldn’t ask for a better group of friends.

I’ve been to shows, fairs, parties, the beach….  Family reunions and camping and never left my cell.

No, people, I haven’t lost it.  Quite the opposite.  …Seems a group of you wants to make certain I don’t lose it.  I would like to thank you.  My baby brother took me mudding with him and his dog, and my friend Justin invited me to his wedding.  I considered trying to talk him out of it (from Ester: sounds familiar, playboy!), but once I met Tammy, I realized he was doing the right thing.

You know, it’s amazing what a few pictures and a paragraph of your thoughts can do for a dude behind bars.

Erica sends me pages of jokes: dirty, raunchy jokes.  We pass them all around the dorm and all the guys get a laugh.  Another friend carries a pad of paper with her and writes me whenever she has time - A lunch break, in the waiting room at the doctor’s, or at a boring conference meeting.

I go shopping, to the park, the pool, long car-rides, vacations up North and in other countries.  


…All because you care.  All because you take a few seconds to snap a picture or write a paragraph.  This piece is for you. 

To the angels.  …My angels: A heartfelt thanks to you.

And what the angels don’t fix, Superwoman will.  Eminem says Superman ain’t saving shit.  Well, no doubt.  A man is sure to fuck it up.  Leave it to a woman… Superwoman.  …Come to scoop me up, save the day, fix all the wrong.  Leave the "manly" stuff to a man.  …Like pushing buttons, popping hoods, and changing fluids.

To all you camera-toting, letter-writing, beautiful people, I say thanks.  My hat is off to you.  At times I feel like I’m living more now than I have for years.  Brooke, you told me to replace the bad apples with good ones.  I listened.

None of this would be possible without my dear sis, Ester.  She even found a way to let me watch while she got her tattoo.  Not only did I draw it, I saw it done.  Next one’s on me, sissy.

Much love to all you fine people out there showing this Tattoo’d Hooligan some love.  You be blessed, each one of you.

To all of you who want to write but never got around to it, pat yourself on the back for nothing J  They say it’s the thought that counts… well, in this case, not so much. 

Nah, I’m just playing.  My hand is about to fall off, for real!  Ester will need more posts soon, and I’m busy writing all you women… Ahhhh.  Who is complaining?  Not me!





8 comments:

sweetmelin said...

This is a great post. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this!

Grace, your travels sound amazing. What a wonderful experience to be able to share them with your brother.

Cari, that is such a cool idea! I'll bet it's also fun to collect all those signatures and little notes. I can only imagine what some of them might say. lol :)

Elizabeth, we just had the Orange County Fair in town last month. Fairs rock! And I'm really pleased to know that is not actually you pictured with the pig. lol (Ester, you're a hoot.)

Brooke, Willie Nelson is so bitchin. When we last saw him, one of his band members and I had a moment. Well, actually more than a moment, it was was much of the concert. Haha Not at all sure why, but he seemed to take a liking to this blonde in the first row. Um yeah, that would be me ... and yeah, that would be MANY years ago. lol Brooke, do you like Rascall Flatts? We're going to see them this Saturday night. Yee Haw :)

Erica, it makes me laugh to think of you going about your week, all the while collecting "dirty raunchy jokes" to put together and send. That's great! :)

And as for that "California Candy," yeah, I've heard she has quite the gift of gab. Although gift might certainly be a misnomer. I suppose it all depends on who you ask. haha What ... talk ... who, me? It's true, and that particular night at the comedy club, Daniel Tosh called me out from onstage regarding my laugh. He likened it to some sort of "tropical bird." haha But as Mike said, we made it. :D

Mike, I'm so thrilled to hear you're getting lots of great letters and great stories and great pictures. Thank you for another wonderful post.

And Ester ... well, you already know how I feel about you, Queen Ester. Thank you for being the reason it all comes together.

Erica H said...

Ah Mike, You are welcome!! Your letters are moving, uplifting, effin hilarious, sarcastic, and pretty my the only reason I even open my damn mail box....damn bills, I swear the extra dollar an hour that you may make will cost at least $60 bucks more in bills! Ugh! But, I will save my rants for a letter for you Mike..cause I know how much you love listening to women bitch lmao!!
Candy, are you always so frickin' awesome? Don't answer that, cause everyone knows you are. The jokes are raunchy cause they have to be...they watch each other shave their balls for crying out loud, "why did the chicken cross the road" just isn't going to cut it, seriously. Okay, I'm leaving before everyone starts thinking that I'm a perv...I am but, lol...well, Mike's Mom reads this lol. That's it, I'm done lmao.
~Erica

Erica H said...

MUCH*

sweetmelin said...

LOL @ Erica ... true story. :) And thanks, you made me smile.

Brooke said...

To the Hooligan ~ I am glad that you have good apples in your life.....and it seems that there are quite a few of them! You deserve that.

California Candy ~ Willie was badass, for sure! That man STILL can rock the stage. I do like Rascal Flatts....really, I like just about any concert! Have fun! Tosh.O is a favorite of mine. I need to do that one day.

sweetmelin said...

Thank you, Brooke. :)

Dawn J said...

i don't know; there's just something about this post that i really like. it was refreshing to me for some reason. thank you, this was just what i needed to top off an already fabulous day. =)

J.J. said...

I agree with you, Dawnie - I loved this post too. Halfway because I am SO ashamed to post some of the degrading-to-women stuff that this makes me feel even more proud, and also because I'm just touched in general. Many of you who have wrote to Michael are my friends too (FIRST!?) and it blesses my heart that you believe in both of us and keep supporting us. Thank you ladies!!!