Friday, October 28, 2011

Locomotion

About a month ago Ester sent me a picture of a train.  She said she liked the train, and asked if I would draw it.  I told her I would.

When we were kids our parents took us to Canada.  We spent the day on the Ottawa train ride.  (Or whatever it's called.)  My point...that's a memory I have carried all my life.  The scenery you see along that ride is breathtaking.

And....that's my memory of a train.  Like Ester, I think there is something cool about the old steam engines.  Smoke billowing around them as they blow down the track.  I love Kid Rock's song "Cowboy".  When he says, "you can hear my whistle blowin' when my train rolls in...like dust in the wind..."

Trains are bad-ass.  You all know my sissy is also bad-ass, and more so than a train ever will be.  So...as you observe this art and exclaim, "what the fuck!?"  Instead, think "wicked!" 

Ester, here is your train....with a twist of course. The only thing badder than that train is your bad-ass brother.  When you see this picture, you see you.  Now, see the train...that train is me.  We're both rollin' into your town.  Full-steam ahead.  Middle fingers in the air.  We're a memory you will not soon forget.  My sister and I will leave our mark.  That's what we do.  So put a finger in the air and yell..."Fuck You!"


(Copyright M.S. 2011, All Rights Reserved)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1984--that was a good year!! I love this. I love my kids.

The MOM

Ester Jean said...

This cracks me up - how much that picture looks like me a few years ago! Yikes! LOL. I remember that trip very well too - we were all home-schooled then, and an old man asked us if we were playing Hookey. Mom explained that we were on a field trip, and I had to ask her what "Playing Hookey" meant - I thought it had something to do with prostitution!