Friday, December 30, 2011

My Mom

You truly do have to love yourself to fully love someone else. 

For 33 years my mother has been praying me home.  Since I was a boy my mother has taught me by example.  After spending some time with my mom, my woman told me that indeed the apple didn't fall far from the tree.  I had made a sideways remark to apples and trees and my mom in a post about chairlifts.  So, when my woman made this comment I rolled my eyes and said, "you're silly."  After more thought, I realized that she was right.  My mother have me her heart.

A heart to give.

As I realized this, I realized something else...I am whole again.  Today I am not ashamed of the man I have become.  Not only can I love and respect myself, I love and respect the people in my life.  I called my mom on Christmas Eve.   She asked how many people we were cooking for.  Let me back up....

Every year I look out for some of the less fortunate here.  This year there were 12 guys who didn't have anything.  Me and a couple others pitched in and made them a meal.  Mom asked if I had enough money.  Then she said to tell them Merry Christmas from her.

That's my mom.  This is what my mother stands for.  All of my life my mother has opened her home to anyone in need.  There is no naughty or nice list.  Instead, she offers a come one, come all kind of home.

This year 12 dudes walked away full of food and a message.  A message of hope.  That even here, in prison, people can learn to feel compassion. Broken can become whole.  And as they ate, others saw this and began to give as well.  Others offered coffee, cookies, and candy.  The food grew rather than disappearing.  Before long it was our whole dorm and someone even gave up a prayer of thanks.  Thanking God for our families, and our loved ones.  After the prayer there was a round of applause.  I took a seat off to the side and watched.  A smile was on my face.

Don't pay me back, pay it forward.  That's my mother in me.  The joy it brings me to give?  That's my mother as well.  Me, learning to be an example is my gift to you mom.  Me, learning to love myself so I can love others is also my gift to you.  Happy Birthday Mom!  Another year behind us, and a fresh start on a New Year!       

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well stated Michael...song line goes to live you must nearly die.

Anonymous said...

Michael---it is so good to have my son back!! We have talked about that many times and the joy is powerful. I cannot take credit for who you are....but I love you with all my heart and am proud you are my son.

Happy New Year to all of the readers of J.J. from the Hooligan's MOM. May your homes and hearts be filled with love and your children be friends.

BlazngScarlet said...

Good all over you!!!!

Happy Birthday to Hooligans Mom!
Happy New Year to ALL!

Be safe ... be loved.
Give Bliss a Chance!