Friday, January 6, 2012

hardDRIVE with Lou Brutus

How does a prisoner halfway through a 12-year sentence enjoy a rock show headlining bands such as Disturbed, Korn, Stained and Five Finger Death Punch? 

You hang with Lou Brutus and his badass radio show called hardDrive

Right now I am sampling the band Stained and their new, harder sound on a track called Eyes Wide Open.  I love the new sound!

The beauty of hardDrive is you hear the bands you love, but the songs that are not typically played.  Most radio shows takes a song and plays it to death.  So much that you flip the station when it comes on because you already heard it 20 times previously.  Take Disturbed for example.  These dudes are incredible. 

I saw Disturbed in downtown Orlando back in '99 or 2000.  The local rock staion WJRR held "Earth Day Birthday."  This event was held downtown and after the show was over the town was destroyed.  All the local newspapers bashed the event.  The idea that it was suppose to celebrate Earth Day, yet the city was trashed opened the door for bashing.  But, what do you expect when Disturbed takes the stage? 

Now, the event is held in a farmer's field.  They learned the hard way.  People were climbing up the sides of buildings to get a better view.  The show was sold out and I personally jumped a 20-foot baracade fence to gain access.  The next time I saw Disturbed was in Tampa and the fence separating the bleachers from the floor seats was torn down.  The whole floor became a mosh pit.

Van's Warped Tour came through Orlando in '04 or '05.  Once again, I jumped their fence too.  I wasn't about to pay to see that line up.  I believe Sum 41 and Blink 182 were the largest acts to hit the stage.  Plus, jumping the fence is half the fun.  Security chases you through the crowd. You rip of your shirt, put on a ball cap and blend in.  Watching as those fat ass security guards go rushing by.  Then you fire up the joint you hid in your sock, celebrate your victory, and enjoy the show. 

For what it's worth....I think they finally cured me from fence jumping.  The security here totes shot guns and they are a little more than I care to try and out run. 

So, thank God for Lou and the hardDrive show.

Right now Korn is on my radio.  These guys kick ass and take no prisoners....well, lookie there.  Moving on....

I have yet to see Korn in concert.  However, if they're still making heads bang and pits mosh in say...seven years?  Then, I'm there!  Until then, I'll be sitting on bunk 113 each Saturday, rocking out to some of the best names in music. 

Lou Brutus?!  You are the shit man!  You bring the rock.  The songs that dudes like me would never hear if not for your radio show.  All we have is a radio.  And, I am not the only one.  Many dudes rock out to your program. 

The alternative is...Honey Tonk Saturdays where Hank Williams and Willie Nelson are representing strong.  I tend to slide over to these during commerical breaks and catch me a little Country Boys Can Survive.  How true that is.  This country boy survives on Korn, Stained and Theory of a Dead Man. Throw in System of the Down and some Pantera and we have a party. 

Music continues to move me.  Many times it is our best friend.  Much love to the people who make the music.  Many thanks to Lou Brutus and DJs across the country who make music reach out to people all over the place....even to a prisoner's ears. 

A quick shout out to Nikki Sixx and his trusty side-kick Kerri Kasem.  They bring us the Sixx Sense and I truly enjoy hearing Nikki make fun of Kerri each night.  Tons of fun!!  Another day down, and another way I free my mind. 

ROCK ON!
The Tattoo'd Hooligan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hadn't heard of Lou's show, but I can listen to it online, which is awesome. Checking it out! Thanks JJ!