Sunday, April 1, 2012

Hello, My Name Is.....

Brooke. 

I work, pay bills, run errands, and....put on my pants the same you do.  There is nothing extraordinarily special about me.  I am a loyal friend, a loving sister and a mother of two beautiful children.  I am a childhood friend of J.J. and now a proud blogger.  Or....typist...that seems more appropriate being that these posts are J.J.'s thoughts.  Not mine.

Let me take you for a fast ride down memory lane.  20 years ago, I use to run through the woods with J.J. after church.  Engage in snowball fights, build forts, play tag and take dog sled rides with my friend, who now calls himself J.J.  Today, we write.

Many, many years went by since we have talked.  I heard stories about J.J.  Living a colorful life.  Living big.  Living on the edge.  But, through all the years, I have always considered him my friend.  I have always kept him in my prayers.  Then, one year ago I heard about a blog named Judicious Jailbird.

I checked it out.  Like J.J., I grew up in a conservative Christian home.  Unlike, J.J. I never dreamed of trying the things he did.  I remember thinking, "Really? You turned your closet into a grow room?"  when I read Growing Up.  I remember holding my breath when I read the series My Life.  I remember my heart sinking when I read Dark Days.

Last summer, once I caught up on my friend's life, we started to write.  We have laughed about childhood memories.  We share our ups and downs.  We travel the world together as we write about the adventures we hope to experience one day.  And, we challenge each other to new thoughts and opinions.

Last summer, I was also surprised by a news story that explained the Muskegon County Jail (in West Michigan) was changing the inmate mail policy.  The new policy outlines that inmates can no longer receive incoming letters, but are now restricted to postcards from their loved ones.  I read strings of comments in support of the new policy.  Some comparing the jail/prison system to summer camps.  I have never been to jail/prison, but I am pretty sure that they do not have canoe trips, campfires with S'mores, and sing Kumbaya.  I thought about my friend J.J.  I thought about the people he writes, and how he feels a part of their lives.  I thought about the time he spends writing posts and drawing art for this project, and how this helps him do his time in a positive and productive way.  I thought about how incredibly important these things are to J.J. as he spends his time bettering himself.  I was disappointed to read what others wrote in support of taking away inmate's mail.  I am disappointed in society's harsh judgements.  Inmates are already being punished. Who are we to continue to punish them?

Moved by my disappointment, I wrote to J.J. and told him that I would be happy to help him if I could.  Now, I am proud to be the childhood friend that shares J.J.'s stories and talents with you.

I believe that it is important for inmates to stay connected to life on the other side of the fence.  It is important for them to stay in contact with family and friends.  And, I believe that this is a positive and productive project for J.J. to have in his life.  (Right, I know.  You may read some things and think "Productive?"  But c'mon.....think about it......he is hanging on his bunk writing and drawing rather than gambling or doing drugs, among many other choices that are presented on a daily basis.) 

Prison doesn't rehabilitate inmates.  Inmates choose to rehabilitate themselves.  I believe that J.J. has chosen to better himself.  And, I know that this project plays a large role in his quest for a better life.

It is quite likely that you do not always agree with him.  That's OK.  I don't either.  I am not here because these are my opinions or thoughts.  I am here because he is my friend.


 

   

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea Brooke! A friend in need is a friend INDEED! Virtue is it's own reward?

Anonymous said...

Thank you Brooke. For your friendship to my son. Thank you for your heart. For seeing past shortcomings to see strengths. Thank you...thank you.

The MOM

Ester Jean said...

Aw man, it brought tears to my eyes, remembering sitting at work late one night, typing up the Dark Days piece. It made my heart sink too!

When I started feeling totally overwhelmed, you came behind me with encouragement (as well as behind Michael!), and eventually you were the one to breathe new life into J.J.

We ARE so blessed that you took the reigns and kept moving on with the dream. Thank you, Brooke!

Brooke said...

Thank you to each of you for your kind words!!! I very much appreciate it! I am truly very proud to be a part of this project! XO