Sunday, May 29, 2011

Memorial Day Piece From J.J.

"I was scrolling through my pocket calendar and saw that Memorial Day was our next holiday.

When I was out there, Memorial Day was one of my favorites.  …Not that I needed a reason to drink beer, shoot guns, and call in sick on Monday.  That’s why this holiday is so cool – three days to drink, and you don’t have to pull the sick-day trick.

I gave this year some thought.  For obvious reasons, I will not be eating BBQ and drinking ice-cold beer.  So what can I do?

About that same time, I heard the news that Bin Laden had been shot and killed.  I thought, ‘One less shit-bag!  I know!  I’ll draw a picture!’

That settled it.  Now to figure out what to draw.  My first thought -  I’ll put Bin Laden on a camel, crossing the desert with a towel on his head.  What?  That’s the first thing that came to my mind.

Jokes aside, I’m not trying to piss off the Taliban or Al Queda or whoever the fuck they are.  Although I do have a little catch phrase for the former Bin Laden: “I used to be satanic, now I sleep in the Titanic.”

Hope you like seafood, bitch!

Ok, really – I’m done.

So I drew a picture.  Hope you like it…

I’m not going to waste my time on a whole piece of art about Bin Laden.  However, I feel honored to spend my time and much love on a piece of art for the men and women who serve our country.  This one is for you.  My hat if off and I give a bow to you for the risks you take to keep our country safe.

This piece is for those of you who currently serve, or are in the reserves.  You will also notice I show love to those who have passed away.  Much love to the families and loved ones of service men and women.  I know how it feels to be away from your family and loved ones – it sucks.

I tried my best to represent some of the weapons and machines used to keep the enemy under control.  I do apologize if anything is not accurate.

Then you’ll see I just went off and free-styled on the fill art, kind of like a look into our military vehicles on a hit of acid.  PLEASE NOTE: We do not condone using acid.  Don’t get me wrong… just enjoy the art and you won’t need drugs for anything. 

Much love to you friends!"

-J.J.

Copyright M.S. 2011

3 comments:

sweetmelin said...

Oh my goodness, this is so badass, I love this piece! The headstones at the bottom, peaking up through the stripes, sweeping up into the stars ... so very cool! Just another wonderful creation, JJ. And side note; for a moment there I was expecting to hear ... "Thanks folks, I'll be here all week. Be sure and tip your wait staff." Haha :D

P.S. I wish you could enjoy a BBQ today. xo

Anonymous said...

I love this! So much great symbolism. Your love and respect for our country and it's servicemen is shining bright through this beautiful drawing. Becoming quite the artist darlin. So proud:)xoxo

Dawn J said...

favorite art piece so far! just excellent. i like the way you added movement through the middle of the piece.