Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy Birthday, California Girl!

Today is Candy's birthday and Michael and I are proud to say she was our first fan!  When I published the first piece on J.J., she was reading.  She is the first person to order a t-shirt at the conception of Tattoo'd Hooligan, and she has been a badass about encouraging both of us through the entire project. 

Michael hasn't met Candy.  Neither have I.  We have talked on an almost-daily basis for well over a year now.  When I was waiting for my husband to come home from Afghanistan, she was almost as excited as I was!  ...Because I hadn't met her, and we had just been talking online through a mutual long-time friend, I was a teensy bit worried about telling her dates for his arrival home.  One night while I was drinking wine and painting my toenails, I called her home on the West Coast just to chat... and make sure she wasn't a terrorist spy (remember that shit Candy??  HAHA!).

Candy is a beautiful woman, a loving mother, and a wonderful friend.  Michael mentions her by name when he writes because he knows she has been with us since the very beginning.  We want to wish Candy a beautiful birthday today!  Candy, thank you for being our first fan, thank you for encouraging me along the way and for keeping in touch with both me and Michael.  We are so blessed to have someone in our lives who shares her wisdom, humor, faith, and hopes with us.  From the bottom of our hearts, we love you and appreciate you!  And in honor of your bas-assedness, this is a piece Michael made for you.  He didn't know your birthday was coming up so quickly, he just sent me the piece and said it was for you.

Happy Birthday Candy!  

And to all our fans, thank you for coming, thank you for commenting, thank you for staying, and thank you for spreading the word!  Much Love!! 

(Copyright 2011, M.S.)

4 comments:

sweetmelin said...

Well ... Oh.My.Goodness ... I will try and type this most heartfelt and huge THANK YOU, although it might be difficult as I have tears. Yeah, no surprise there ... at least none for Ester. ha THANK YOU so very much to you both, Ester and Michael, for the kind words and wonderful wishes.

I am honored that you would devote an entire JJ post to me and my birthday. I am also honored to be known as your first ... um, Dave and you have that in common. haha I was your first fan because of my friendship and love for Ester. However, I have stayed as a result of my growing love and devotion to Michael and you both, and the vision you two have for this wonderfully heartfelt project. Michael's writings move me on a regular basis ... his works of art amaze and impress me ... and I am constantly inspired by he and his sweet sister, Ester.

And yes Ester, how could I ever forget your exploratory phone call. I had never heard your voice before that night and ... um ... I'm not gonna lie, you sounded rather intense at the beginning and I was thoroughly confused for a moment. haha Once you stated the nature of your mission I remember thinking, yep I just love this woman. You freaking cracked me up, sweet Ester. Fortunate for me I was able to convince you I was merely a lady from Cali, full of love, support, and most of all, excitement for your returning soldier, your "king." :) And yes, I remember receiving flight/arrival text updates while Carly and I were shopping at Target ... I will never forget. :)

Michael, thank you from the bottom of my heart for my special Cali girl art. I will treasure it always. I pray for your continued safety and well being. I very much look forward to your days of freedom. I'm certain I will have the privilege of meeting you in person. I remember being so moved by a few JJ posts that all I could reply was, "I wish I could hug you." Well, one day I'm certain I will have the honor of making good on all those hugs ... so consider yourself warned haha Meantime, continue to do what you do and know you are touching and inspiring a lot of hearts. <3

And my dear Ester, you know I'm gonna meet your sweet ass before too long. You know the ladies are meeting up somewhere in the middle and I so look forward to that day. <3

I am blessed to call both Ester and Michael ... friend.

LOVE YOU xoxo

Erica H said...

This is my favorite pic you have done! It seriously amazes me that you haven't had any classes for your badass artwork! Your beautiful, intricate lettering mastery makes me insanely jealous...just sayin...lol. Drawing/painting letters is extremely intimidating for me...so I try to avoid them at all cost. Well keep it up!!

Anonymous said...

Candy--thank you for your support to my daughter and my son. I was visiting with Michael this past weekend and he told me about this piece of art. He talked about how he draws from his mind and things he remembers seeing. He doesn't have objects or pictures to use. Every day, bolt, screw, tree, etc. he draws from memory as these objects are not available to him now. I hadn't thought about that and for some reason it really impacted me. He did this for you, as a gift and a thank you. He really appreciates your support--and I do as well.
The MOM

sweetmelin said...

Oh MOM ... you're such a sweetie, and you are most welcome. As I've said before, I think your daughter and son are rather special individuals. It truly touches my heart to think Michael would take the time to create something just for me.

I agree, it is rather amazing to consider his artwork with the perspective you spoke of ... from that point of reference. It makes all his creations that much more special. Thank you for taking the time to write a comment for me, I so appreciate it.